1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Need help with new bike assembly (thru axle)!

So I just received delivery of my gently used custom build Cannondale RZ 120. Assembly was a breeze until I tried securing the front wheel with a thru axle (maxle). I'm used to a quick release with the spring-loaded twisty cap on the other end. But this thru axle has no such thing and the wheel is very loose not having anything for the axle to screw into.

I thought for sure I was missing some sort of cap to secure the wheel. But I looked through the eBay photos and there didn't seem to be a cap there either. What am I missing?

Need help with new bike assembly (thru axle)!-axle-pic.jpg

Link to more photos and specs on ebay: Cannondale Rize 120 Large | eBay

mtbr member
    Maxle installation
    0. Pull the maxle lever to the 'open' position
    1. Push maxle through fork dropout, hub, and into the opposite threaded dropout.
    2. Screw the maxle in hand-tight
    3. Flip the lever to the closed position

If your "loose" is happening at step #2, you may have some issue.
    If your "loose" is happening at step #3, all you have to do is use a small allen wrench (3mm? it's the same as the built-in allen of a Rockshock rebound knob--you can pull it right out) to tighten the hex hidden inside the lever end of the maxle. This adjusts the wedge that expands when you flip the lever. The little adjuster may be backed so far out that even w/ the lever flipped closed, it does not tighten up.

Does that help?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks that did it!