gangster of capitalism

need help for new bike

I have been looking at hardtails for something new and to commute with, and also take it trail riding as much as I can. I like the Fisher G2 geometry a lot, and I like the 29ers but Im 5'8" 160lbs so I dont know if I can throw a bigger bike around some trails as well. I would be riding mostly in central Indiana(Brown County). I like the Marlin and can upgrade it, but I want to make sure that the Marlin is a bike that can handle what I could throw at it. I have a 98 Joshua, so I dont think i need another full suspension, and I can use it for more technical stuff. As far as commuting and recreational riding goes, I would use the Hardtail a lot, would a 29er have an advantage on commuting?

mtbr member
    My friend has a 2008 Marlin and loves it... He is about the same height and weighs about 210. He upgraded the forks to a Rock Shox 318 Tora and the brakes to Juicy 5's. He uses his marlin for single track and has taken it off 4 foot drops. He is in the market for custom wheels.

You should wait for other feedback, especially when referring to 29er.

RXB
    B*Man

Marlin

I just bought a new black Marlin Saturday and rode it today. Great bike and it climbs well. I am 5"11 185 lbs and the 29er was to big for me......

gangster of capitalism
    A fork upgrade was one of the first things I would do. Did he upgrade to another G2 offset fork cause I have heard that could be difficult?

mtbr member
    I will have him reply, he would be able to tell you alot more.

TheGoat
    I have 2008 Marlin with upgraded fork and brakes. I moved from the RockShox Dart 2, 100mm travel (stock) to the 2008 RockShox TORA 318 Fork Solo Air, 100mm to 130mm travel. This new fork is not a custom G2 fork. The 2008 Marlins were not under the G2 geometry. I believe the G2 Geometry is new for 2009.
    Currently I have the fork set at 130mm travel and I added Avid Juicy 5 brakes. With these changes the bike handles fine and really moves through the trails well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I don't know if you have already pulled the trigger on buying your new bike but the Marlin is a solid bike. My wife has one pretty much stock and says the handling and performance is good. I also ride with theGoat and know he does plenty of stuff on that bike so it is up to the challenge

Members who have read this thread: 0