1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013

New question here. need help with mountain bike helmets

I'm new to mountain biking, and planning on hitting some trails soon. Probably nothing too extreme, but I would just like some advice on helmets..
    I browsed a similar thread about helmets on this forum, and from what I saw it looks like all helmets have to meet the same specifications as far as protection, so as long as it fits snug the brand doesn't matter all that much.. Is that correct?

If so, is something like this off of ebay ok even though it seems to be a no brand from overseas? It's only $10, so I definitely like the price but is this any less quality than a different name brand one that's on the cheap end?

Assorted Color MTB Bike Bicycle Adult Men's PVC EPS Helmet 18 Holes Ultra Light | eBay

I also saw this Specialized one for $30, is this any good, or drastically better than the cheap $10 one?

Specialized Align Black Helmet 54 62cm Brand New | eBay

I would like to spend no more than $30 max on a helmet, and hopefully cheaper if it's possible like $20.. But like I said I am just a beginner so I don't plan on doing anything extreme too soon and when I do get on some trails that are too much for me I will take it easy until I learn how to handle it.. I know safety is important but I'm just looking for the best value buy at the moment due to me being new to biking as also being out of work for a few months so on a tight budget.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    they all have to pass basic standards. Fit is really more important than anything and getting one that you can wear for hours without a headache is the best one Yes more expensive one add some safety but more are about weight and fancy venting. Hit even a department store and get a cheapo Bell helmet. (Bell owns Giro and all their helmets are trickle down from Giro) wearing any helmet is better than not wearing one.

I HIGHLY recommend going to a store and trying them on over getting something over the net. fit , fit ,fit ... I've had many helmets that hurt the top of my skull. (got kinda a cone head shape ) Hit up Walmart, Cosco,.. target,.. what ever and try them on!!
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

Rogue Exterminator
    As stated they pretty much all pass certain safety standards. Often what you pay for is comfort, weight, ventilation and features.

More money does not mean more protection. However, I would be weary about the cheap $10 helmet that nobody has heard of. Even if it is just as safe, I doubt it will leave you wanting to wear it long.

If saving money is your angle, go to Walmart. They sell Bell, Schwinn and other name brands for $15-$30
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    As already stated, fit is key. The best advice has already been provided in that you should go to your LBS and stores to try on as many helmets as you can to see what works for you. Different brands - even different helmets within the same brand - will fit and feel differently.

Having said that, the two helmets that you posted can serve to demonstrate what you may be getting for the additional expense. First note the difference in coverage that the Specialized provides over the "no name" brand in the first link. The Align comes much further down the rear and sides of the head than the 1st helmet, offering more protection. The first helmet looks down right scary in the way it sits so flat on top of the mannequin's head. Second, note the ventilation the Align offers over the 1st helmet. There are more and larger holes on the Align than the other helmet. Note the fit of the harness at the adjustment wheel; the Align features a seat that will sit/cradle your noggin more effectively, possibly providing a more secure fit. The sweat pads in the align are also removable/replaceable, unlike those of the 1st helmet (go to the Specialized web site for a look inside the Align helmet and compare to the posted pictures of the 1st helmet). The features the extra $20 would get you over the helmet in the first link would provide much more comfort and protection on longer rides (assuming the helmet fits properly).

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    As they advice you, first make a best of 3 helmets, that you like and wish to have, than just put them on, and try and feel, how they are sitting on your head without buckel them...
    advice: When so, then turn fast head left and right and it need to stay on, and dont by cheaper ones...you need protecition;

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Re: need help with mountain bike helmets

Helmets... One area where I wouldn't go cheap. Well, says the guy who got his helmet for $2.99. But spend a couple bucks for something that is both functional and comfortable.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Re: need help with mountain bike helmets

Dp.

Cow Clicker
    Not all are just as safe as each other. All have to pass the same minimum standard, but some far exceed the minimum. In the case of the POC, it has technology that drastically reduces head injury compared to their competitors.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks for all the info everyone, I went down to the local bike shop and wal mart and tested different ones to find a good fit. Sure glad I didn't order a random one offline before doing that.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Tstaw13 View Post
    Thanks for all the info everyone, I went down to the local bike shop and wal mart and tested different ones to find a good fit. Sure glad I didn't order a random one offline before doing that.
    if you find one in a shop you like buy it there, don't go to the shop and waste their time then go home and save a few bucks by getting online... well unless there is a BIG difference in price ... even then but SOMETHING at the shop.. even a bottle of chain oil or something... otherwise the shop may not be there in the future for going to and we'll all end up buying 20 helmets before getting a proper fit,..(and shoes which are another "fit" item not recommended buying with out trying on first)

I'm a pretty big online deal type shopper... but I still support the local shops as much as i can.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Get a cheap giro helmet like the indicator. If you want cheaper, get a bell from walmart