1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Need Help to get me through the next year...

I started getting into riding little over a decade ago. I was a Noob with no $, but loved to ride. I got a 2001 Trek 4500 hardtail.

Now that I'm getting back into it, I want to do two things before finding a my next ride. 1 - get into shape and 2 - do some research to figure out what my next ride should be.

So I want my old Trek to get me through the next year. However the fork is...well...a piece of crap. It's a Rock Shox Jett with 2.5 inches of travel.

I'd like to replace it with a not so expensive replacement to get me through the year. However I don't know what size or what I need to take into consideration when looking for a cheaper replacement (new or used).

Anyone have any suggestions of a fork that would fit my bike or what things I need to know when looking for one that will fit?

thanks.....

Flow like water
    Where will you be riding? What terrain will you be on?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Save your $$$ don't bother upgrading....that bike was designed for a 2.5 inch travel fork...anything else and it will ride funny or worse you could break the frame...that bike is fine to improve your fitness and your skills....just don't get too crazy you'll be fine...ve y

mtbr member
    If you just want to get into shape for a year, I'd say just ride the piss out of that one.

If you want to upgrade I'd look to get a Recon fork in 100mm. Did this to my 01 Trek 6700 to liven it up. Just lower the stem a little to compensate for the extra height. I'm thinking of spacing it to 120mm to slacken it a little more. It will not blow up like the previous poster thinks...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I wouldn't upgrade jack, ride it into the dirt and save your cash for the new one.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks I think I will see this fork through to it's demise...

Cow Clicker
    Quote Originally Posted by cramp View Post
    Thanks I think I will see this fork through to it's demise...
    Good choice! You can always read the Noob Buyer's Guide and learn a bit about yourself and potential equipment. You can also answer all the questions and we might be able to help steer you in a direction that may help you pick up parts and pieces over the next year so you can slowly build a great bike!
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    I agree with all the others and ride the old bike till you have enough $$ to buy a nice bike. Ride the cr^p out of the old one, get in shape and be amazed how well you ride when you get your new bike...
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT