1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Hope need help with this fisher hard tail...

hi again folks , i am still on my never unding hunt for an affordable mtn bike. i found one on cl that i like but would like to make sure i am getting good deal on it before i pull the trigger. its a 2003 fisher big sur disc. its supposudly in good condition, except that you have to tighten the front shocks with an allen key. not a big deal really. bike was originally 1300 , i talked the seller down to 600 from 700. so i may buy it with the blessing of the mtbr message board , because you guys are the best in the business and since u have nothing to gain or lose i trust your opinions.

here is the link.
    http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...Disc&Type=bike

thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Hey I am a newbie too, so take this with a grain of salt.

2003 seems kind of old. even though you get better componets on the Big Sur, they could be nearing the end. Also you do not know if the previous owner took care of the bike or treated it like crap and never cleaned it.

For around $650 you can get a brand new bike that is decent. I just bought the Gary Fischer Wahoo Disc for $650 and love it. If you go with a different brand the price would be slighly less.

Definately wait til some more experienced people chime in, that was just my 2 cents.

~Disc~Golf~
    If it was absolutely in like new condition, $600 could be a good deal - If it has been used the last 7 years like it should've been, no way.

ALSO, if it's not your size - walkaway of course...
    Linky to the CL ad?
    Honestly, you just take a deep breath and say Fuck it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    If it was absolutely in like new condition, $600 could be a good deal - If it has been used the last 7 years like it should've been, no way.

ALSO, if it's not your size - walkaway of course...
    Linky to the CL ad?
    ok so im going to look at it, but he claims he only road it 2 times per summer until last year when he used it around campus. so with that said, how would i know how much use it has other if i dont see any obvious nicks or dents?

here is the link
    http://longisland.craigslist.org/bik/1642437119.html

thanks for you help!!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffeyc
    Hey I am a newbie too, so take this with a grain of salt.

2003 seems kind of old. even though you get better componets on the Big Sur, they could be nearing the end. Also you do not know if the previous owner took care of the bike or treated it like crap and never cleaned it.

For around $650 you can get a brand new bike that is decent. I just bought the Gary Fischer Wahoo Disc for $650 and love it. If you go with a different brand the price would be slighly less.

Definately wait til some more experienced people chime in, that was just my 2 cents.
    it funny u mentioned the wahoo disc. i have been pricing that bike around the lbs near me. and i found someone that would sell it for 600 brand new. so if i dont end up buying the big sure i will probably go for the wahoo disc.

how do u like it? what kind of riding do u do with it. do u think its suitable for an ocassional long road ride? do the front shocks lock out?

thanks for the 2 cents...how about 2 more?

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by tugger164
    ok so im going to look at it, but he claims he only road it 2 times per summer until last year when he used it around campus. so with that said, how would i know how much use it has other if i dont see any obvious nicks or dents?

here is the link
    http://longisland.craigslist.org/bik/1642437119.html

thanks for you help!!!!
    so no pics huh?

well, you should be able to tell when you see it in person.
    But aside from scratches/ dings, some indicators of heavy use would be; significant cable rub on the headtube, wheels out of true, worn grips/saddle, worn chainrings/cogs (shark-finning) - Also, significant wear inside of the front derailleur cage would be a sign of heavy use.
    Feel for things like a worn headset or worn fork bushings by locking the front wheel and feeling for any movement at the headset (especially crown) and the seal area on the fork.
    Check for lateral play in the cranks, as well as both wheels.

At any rate, use some good ol' common sense and think with your 'big-head'

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tugger164
    it funny u mentioned the wahoo disc. i have been pricing that bike around the lbs near me. and i found someone that would sell it for 600 brand new. so if i dont end up buying the big sure i will probably go for the wahoo disc.

how do u like it? what kind of riding do u do with it. do u think its suitable for an ocassional long road ride? do the front shocks lock out?

thanks for the 2 cents...how about 2 more?
    I absolutely love my bike. I currently just ride it to and from the gym(1.5miles) daily and I just took it offroad today. 1 1/2 hours at local bike trail, and I was only uncomfortable the 3 times the bike and I decided to part ways. I move to Korea in less than 3 weeks and that will be my only form of transportation. There is aparently some awesome trails there too.

For a long road rides I would get a new wheel set. I would hate to wear through all my good rubber on the road. The front shocks do lock out which is a must have for me from now on.

If I were you, I would go with the Wahoo.

mtbr member
    Make sure you see the bike in person if you are going to be putting down that much money for a 8 year old mtb

Professional Speed Bump
    Wanna buy my 2004 ETSX-50?

Just dish out $250 more and it's yours...you'll just have to pick it up from Chicago.

My '04 RM ETSX-50 was $3200 when new....I think mine's a better deal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    so no pics huh?

well, you should be able to tell when you see it in person.
    But aside from scratches/ dings, some indicators of heavy use would be; significant cable rub on the headtube, wheels out of true, worn grips/saddle, worn chainrings/cogs (shark-finning) - Also, significant wear inside of the front derailleur cage would be a sign of heavy use.
    Feel for things like a worn headset or worn fork bushings by locking the front wheel and feeling for any movement at the headset (especially crown) and the seal area on the fork.
    Check for lateral play in the cranks, as well as both wheels.

At any rate, use some good ol' common sense and think with your 'big-head'
    ok so i will def be aware of those things. here is another bike i am considering that i found on cl. its a 2008 cann rush 6z for 800. its full suspension but only weighs 30 pnds!! and although i will bedoing mostly road and trail runs, i like the idea of taking it on a more challenging trail occasionally, so the full suspension is very tempting, . but i cant really pay 800 for it so i offered 650 to him , and would be willing to pay 700 for it. but my questions is. is this a better deal at 700$ then the 2003 fisher big sur disc is at 600$??

here is the link for the cann rush:

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/bik/1681223580.html

your the man highdell!!!

~Disc~Golf~
    I'd personally look at this one
    of course, checking it over really well (as well )

here's the OG specs - http://www.bikepedia.com/Quickbike/B...h+6Z&Type=bike

looks like he may have upgraded a few things - rear mech, cranks
    Last edited by highdelll; 04-11-2010 at 11:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I agree, $600 for a 7 year old bike seems too steep. You could get an 09' Fisher Marlin at a LBS for a little less than that. Also, I believe the lifetime warrenty the seller mentioned only applies to the origional owner; this would not be you.