1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    that guy
    Jun 2011

Need help figuring out some unpublished specs for my Access XCL 9.7 29er

I recently purchased and began upgrading a 19" 2010 Access XCL 9.7 29er from Performance Bikes. (I absolutely love it!) I've already purchased and installed a few basic upgrades, but I'd also like to upgrade the wheelset, forks, cranks, headset, and BB. The problem is that the published specs don't list the actual sizes for the current hubs, BB, etc; so, I'm not sure which upgrades are compatible.

Can you guys take a look at the following specs and help me figure out the sizes for BB, hubs, and headset -- and perhaps even list a few decent/inexpensive upgrades (BB, hubs or full wheelset, headset, cranks, forks) that would be compatible?

The following are the specs listed on the Performance website and the upgrades I've already made:

Stock Specs:
    ------------------------------
    BOTTOM BRACKET: TruVativ Giga X Pipe XR
    BRAKES: Avid Elixir 5 Hydraulic Disc w/ 185mm front, 160mm rear
    CASSETTE: SRAM PG-950, 11/34T, 9-speed
    CHAIN: KMC HG73 1/2" 11/128" 106L
    CRANKSET: TruVativ FireX 3.3 aluminum, 22/32/44T
    FORK: Rock Shox Tora SL 100mm travel
    FRAME: 6061 Aluminum
    FRONT DERAILLEUR: SRAM X.7, 34.9, top-pull
    GRIPS/TAPE: Velo Oury
    HANDLEBAR: MTB, butted aluminum, 710mm, 25mm rise
    HEADSET: Cane Creek Semi-integrated
    LEVERS: Avid Elixir 5 Hydraulic Disc
    PEDALS: Wellgo WPD-801, chromoly axle
    REAR DERAILLEUR: SRAM X.7, long cage
    REAR SHOCK: NA
    SADDLE: Velo
    SEATPOST: 7075 Aluminum, 31.6, 350L
    SHIFTERS: SRAM X.7 Trigger
    STEM: Forged Alloy 4-bolt, 7 rise, EXT:19"=110mm, 31.8
    TIRES: Schwalbe Albert HS 29 x 2.1"
    WHEELSET: Rims: Mavic TN 719 Disc, 29", 32H; Hubs: CNC alloy, disc, sealed, 32H

My Mods:
    ------------------------------
    GRIPS: Velo Oury Lock-on Grips (Red)
    PEDALS: Wellgo MG-1 (Red) platforms
    SEATPOST: eXotic 350mm x 31.8 carbon post
    STEM: FSA CSI OS99 Carbon 90mm +/- 6deg
    SADDLE: WTB Rocket V Pro
    CHAIN GUIDE: N-Gear Jump-Stop
    OTHER: LizardSkinz Chainstay protector (red); Converted to 1x9 (removed 22T/44T chainrings, removed front shifter/derailer, and installed BBG 32T bashguard)

Thanks ahead of time!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I wouldn't worry about the bb or headset unless they break. Your hubs are completely average; they're standard QR front and back and the standard widths, too. If you really want to figure out your BB size/specs just use google and do the same for the headset if you can figure out which Cane Creek headset it is (should be printed somewhere on it).
    All of the true things I'm about to tell you are shameless lies.

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by False View Post
    I wouldn't worry about the bb or headset unless they break. Your hubs are completely average; they're standard QR front and back and the standard widths, too. If you really want to figure out your BB size/specs just use google and do the same for the headset if you can figure out which Cane Creek headset it is (should be printed somewhere on it).
    Thanks for the info. However, please forgive my noobness, but what is the "standard" hub width. 100/5mm, 100/9, 135/5, 135/9, etc?

I'd like to put together a wheelset with Stans Arch or Flow rims combined with good 'ole DT Swiss 240s, and I'd like to keep them QR, but I don't know which 240s to get.

List is here:
    http://www.dtswiss.com/Products/Comp...Hubs/240s.aspx

I did determine that my BB shell is 68mm, so that's a good start.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    My son's headset is: Cane Creek VP-A42E Semi-integrated. Just look at your headset cup cover.
    2009 Access 9.5 29er
    2010 Diamondback Insight RS (700c hybrid)
    Velorazzo frame build (26)

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hardwarz View Post
    My son's headset is: Cane Creek VP-A42E Semi-integrated. Just look at your headset cup cover.
    Will do, thanks!

Remaining Questions:
    1. Does this bike have an ISCG, Non-ISCG, or ISCG-05 frame? I'm looking into getting a MRP chain guide, but I have no clue which one to buy... lol

2. Which DT Swiss 240s hubs are the correct ones to use for a QR setup, front and rear, with Stan's Flow rims?

EDIT: Answered #1 = Non-ISCG.
    Last edited by paleh0rse; 07-19-2011 at 11:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I would get the ones with the thru-axles. 100x9 front, 135x10 rear.

that guy
    Jun 2011
    I would get the ones with the thru-axles. 100x9 front, 135x10 rear.
    Curious, why go thru-axle instead of QR? Doesn't that make it much harder to pop the wheels on and off for quick tire changes, etc?

Also, the Performance shop just told me that the stock hubs are 100/12mm front, and 135/12mm rear; however, the kid didn't sound very confident in that answer, and DT Swiss doesn't even make a 240s with those sizes.

EDIT: see below...
    Last edited by paleh0rse; 07-19-2011 at 12:08 PM.

that guy
    Jun 2011
    OK, I found the info for my forks:

Tora-SL SoloAir Q/R-V, 100/80mm
    Travel: 100/80mm (3.95/3.15")
    Spring type: SoloAir
    Damping: TurnKey
    Adjustability: external rebound, lockout
    Brake mount: linear+disc (6" IS)
    Dropout: 9x100mm quick-release
    Axle-crown: 470/450mm
    Weight: 4.4lb (1999g)

So, it looks like 100/9mm QR will work for the front. But, I still don't know the exact spec for my frame's rear dropout... anyone?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    rear should be a standard 135mm/9mm QR
    2009 Access 9.5 29er

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hardwarz View Post
    rear should be a standard 135mm/9mm QR
    ok, so...

100/9mm front and 135/9mm rear. Got it.

Thank you everyone!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    The thru-axles are quick release. They use a ratcheting mechanism instead of a cam, though.

that guy
    Jun 2011
    The thru-axles are quick release. They use a ratcheting mechanism instead of a cam, though.
    ahhh, ok, that's good to know. I'm learning something new every day I visit this site.

Also, DT Swiss doesn't make a 135/9mm Disc rear, so I'm assuming the 135/10mm that False mentioned was correct.

Once again, thank you everyone!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by paleh0rse View Post
    ahhh, ok, that's good to know. I'm learning something new every day I visit this site.

Also, DT Swiss doesn't make a 135/9mm Disc rear, so I'm assuming the 135/10mm that False mentioned was correct.

Once again, thank you everyone!
    whoopse... yeah, 135/10...
    2009 Access 9.5 29er

mtbr member
    The frame uses a zero-stack headset. I've heard the stock headset is a generic piece of junk that isnt manufactured by Cane Creek but only has their logo printed on it. Good thing is that a Cane Creek ZS-3 can be had for $30 online.

The bottom bracket is standard 68mm English threading, no ISCG tabs. You shouldnt need a chainguide on this kind of bike unless you're running a single ring front drivetrain, and even then it's overkill. Chainguides look badass but are completely unnecessary on cross country bikes. If you're routinely doing large drops and wanting to immediately start pedalling upon landing they're great. Or if you're wanting to pedal your heart out through rock gardens, they'll keep your chain where it needs to be. Otherwise a front derailleur will do the same thing as well as allow you to shift gears.

Front QR dropouts are 9mm, rear QR dropouts are 10mm. Front QR spacing is 100mm road/mountain, rear QR spacing is 135mm for mountain bikes.

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    The frame uses a zero-stack headset. I've heard the stock headset is a generic piece of junk that isnt manufactured by Cane Creek but only has their logo printed on it. Good thing is that a Cane Creek ZS-3 can be had for $30 online.

The bottom bracket is standard 68mm English threading, no ISCG tabs. You shouldnt need a chainguide on this kind of bike unless you're running a single ring front drivetrain, and even then it's overkill. Chainguides look badass but are completely unnecessary on cross country bikes. If you're routinely doing large drops and wanting to immediately start pedalling upon landing they're great. Or if you're wanting to pedal your heart out through rock gardens, they'll keep your chain where it needs to be. Otherwise a front derailleur will do the same thing as well as allow you to shift gears.

Front QR dropouts are 9mm, rear QR dropouts are 10mm. Front QR spacing is 100mm road/mountain, rear QR spacing is 135mm for mountain bikes.
    Thanks for the great info summary! I did convert it to a 1*9 drivetrain, and right now I'm just using a N-gear JumpStop to keep the chain from dropping inside, and a BBG 32T basguard on the outer. So far, it's worked "ok," but I did have one dropped chain (inside) since the conversion on a very small drop/root combo. After that hapened, I also picked up a used non-ISCG MRP guide that I might throw on if it happens again... we'll see.

I'll also look into picking up a real Cane Creek or CK headset to replace the generic stock one. Seen any amazing deals lately? lol

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Not sure if this thread is alive or dead; but just to confirm, these frames can handle a 135x10 thru axel?

thanks!

mtbr member
    So long as its a 10mm axle and not 12mm, yes. They're designed around standard 10mmx135mm rear hubs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    So long as its a 10mm axle and not 12mm, yes. They're designed around standard 10mmx135mm rear hubs.
    Thanks, thats what it seemed like. I asked the "Live Chat" on Performancebike.com and he said "No, they take standard QR". Any idea?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    A thru axle needs something to screw into ,older frames don't have threads in the drop outs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    ah gotcha! THANK YOU. But it will support a 135x10 QR. thanks everyone