1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Need Help on diamondback's

New to the whole Mountain bike scene, torn between a Diamondback overdrive sport 2014 or the response xe 2014...both around the same price just not liking the curve on the overdrive...any input on either?...mostly do trail riding but looking to expand my horizons...currently have a genesis v2600 which I'm returning back to walmart sunday lol
    Last edited by Shadowlt4; 06-25-2014 at 11:04 PM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    response is 7 speed overdrive is 8, other than that look the same, buy the one u like or cheapest.. 1 extra gear might be helpful tho.. idk what ur price is but the marin bike on ebay has a nicer fork, 9 speed, alivio/deore instead of the altus and hydro brakes for around $600, shop around

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Those bikes are for riding on dirt roads and bike paths not trails. The fork is a greased spring. No adjustable rebound so a pogo stick over multiple bumps at speed. The 28mm stanchions are flexy for poor tracking. The bushings inside are plastic for short life. It's heavy at 6.2lbs.
    The new bike on ebay is a 2013 Marin Bobcat 29. I have no connection with the listings.
    The fork is 4.3lbs. It has an air piston system to set the sag. Adjustable rebound damping. A sealed oil filled damper like a car shock. 32mm stanchions and metal bushings. Trail ready.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I like secondhand bikes for getting a capable package for not much money. Particularly from a bike shop if you can, but Craig's List, pawn shops, and used sporting goods stores all carry them too.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks for the input, the marin looks good the main difference I see is the fork...was planning on getting the overdrive and investing in a fox or rockshox fork after the first season of riding was done...went to my LBS and they recommended a giant but weren't to specific on the model, and one guy told me "don't believe everything u read online" and to keep the genesis lol...just want something that wont fall apart, took the genesis on a local bike path and it sounded like it was going to fall apart going downhill...so my main question would be, is the marin better than the diamondback just due to the fork? I'm getting the overdrive sport for $510 out the door tax and shipping included from *****sportingoods.com and the marin would set me back around $700 plus shipping...heard the frames on the diamondbacks are bulletproof, or at least from what I've read so far on previous postings.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I stood in this same position last week. The best advice I got was to go to my local bike stores and try out what they have. I found a trek 3700 that meets the beginner bike requirements I needed and now know that I want a Haro FL 27.Five Expert if I make it through the season riding regularly.

Both of the local bike shops around here let me take a bike for a test day and didn't charge me a rental fee because I returned them after a few hours. Some shops will charge the rental, but will put that towards the purchase if you end up buying the bike that day.

I would go with AndrwSwitch's advice with the exception of craigslist unless you know a lot about bike maintenance. Usually the LBSs will have used models that have been tuned up and are ready to go, where someone on craigslist may have left the bike out in the weather and never greased anything.

Lastly, you may be able to find a much better deal on diamondbacks if that is truely what you decide on. You should be able to get the Overdrive Comp or Axis Comp (rockshox forks) for a little under $700. These also have the deore drivetrain, so it's a pretty attractive bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    it really depends what u plan to do with the bike, bike paths and cruising speeds the genesis would be fine, more harder stuff not so much.. its not like ur bike is going to snap in half, but u have to understand a bike is not only a frame, cheaper bearings, rims, hubs, etc.. might be the factor that u either love or hate biking, would u put an $800 fork or $500 rims on a $150 bike, its up to u. get a budget and look for used bikes too,

somebody did a build with that frame, check it

www.bigboxbikes.com • View topic - New V2100 Project Has Commenced

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Even the Walmart frames are pretty solid these days. It's just expensive to change everything else. The Marin has a tapered head tube which is now the standard on better bikes. This isn't meant to be a forever bike. It is trail ready for skill development on fun/difficult trails unlike almost every other bike in this price range. Two years from now you will spend a lot more. Want to save $700. We can tell you the $2k bike you'll likely go for in two years. Get it now and save.
    You cannot ride the DB on the same trails without a fork upgrade. The $200 upgrade fork from Suntour is the Raidon already on the Marin. It would have a straight steerer and be heavier.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Well I tried craigslist and did find one good giant, but it was a full suspension and the guy wanted almost retail for it...prob due to summer season and everyone is either buying or holding on till winter to let it go...budget wise I'm still in walmart territory but willing to sacrifice for 2 weeks to bump it up to the 5-6 hundred dollar range which is why the Diamondback really caught my eye, the LBS I go to explained that they're decent bikes especially for a beginner, but still considered big box brand...just want a decent hardtail that wont break the bank and have minimal components to upgrade in the future...and not planning on keeping the genesis, just made too much noise and felt really heavy on the inclines...again thank you all for your input

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Most likely sticking to the bike trails for now till I upgrade the fork and better my skills...really like the marin just not too fond of having to buy through a website with no actual store to back up a return like D***s, sportschalet, LBS, etc. Thanks eb1888

I'd rather be on my bike
    Compared to the Genesis, that Diamondback will be an upgrade. That Diamondback will get you around just fine on the trails. The fork may not be what you want, but it will definitely work. Don't be swindled into getting something that you don't want, or may not need at this point.
    '13 FELT TK3 / '09 Jamis Sonik
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2014 miles - 3019/2500

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Those bikes are for riding on dirt roads and bike paths not trails. The fork is a greased spring. No adjustable rebound so a pogo stick over multiple bumps at speed. The 28mm stanchions are flexy for poor tracking. The bushings inside are plastic for short life. It's heavy at 6.2lbs.
    The new bike on ebay is a 2013 Marin Bobcat 29. I have no connection with the listings.
    The fork is 4.3lbs. It has an air piston system to set the sag. Adjustable rebound damping. A sealed oil filled damper like a car shock. 32mm stanchions and metal bushings. Trail ready.

I agree 100% the Marin has a better fork. But the fork on the Overdrive Comp isn't too bad for general trail riding. It's got 30mm stanchions, preload, lockout.
    Bike Doctor

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    No one sticks to the bike paths. One ride on the fun/difficult trails and you'll be hooked just like us.
    The Marin is sold from a bike shop in Minnesota. Another bike that compares is the Airborne Seeker. They have a good return policy but the bike is $1k for essentially the same level of performance.
    You will eventually get bigger discounts on 14s in shops. Make sure one of those is trail ready and not just a bike path bike.

If you are disappointed Nick at Suntour has an upgrade program. $200 gets you the fork on the Marin.

The Overdrive Comp has a RS XC 30 coil spring fork with adjustable rebound. Not as good as an air fork like the Raidon or Recon Gold but it will work.
    Last edited by eb1888; 07-15-2014 at 06:12 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    So how would that upgrade program workout? is there a specific time frame form the purchase of the bike to be eligible for that program?...I know the fork isn't going to be the best but it does look better than the one on the DB response xe...just want a good platform to build on...still have lots of work to do on my shifting and overall control of the bike...originally wanted to get the DB recoil but as I read on the post, its better to get a basic hardtail vs getting a cheap full suspension...going to D***s this weekend to try out the response, they don't seem to have the overdrive in stock anywhere and going to call LBS in the area to see if any have that Marin in stock to try it out

Fat-tired Roadie
    If you want to do Craig's List, it can take a little time and patience. I bought a track bike that way a couple years ago. I wanted something somewhat specific - had to be my size, not just ballpark, and it had to be serious enough for the velodrome, so no chopped handlebars, freewheels, bad conversions, etc. Craig's List will let you save a set of search terms and email you when someone lists a good match.

If you haven't phoned around to many shops yet, do that too. Everywhere I've lived, there've been at least a couple shops or co-ops doing a lot of secondhand.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowlt4 View Post
    So how would that upgrade program workout? is there a specific time frame form the purchase of the bike to be eligible for that program?...I know the fork isn't going to be the best but it does look better than the one on the DB response xe...just want a good platform to build on...still have lots of work to do on my shifting and overall control of the bike...originally wanted to get the DB recoil but as I read on the post, its better to get a basic hardtail vs getting a cheap full suspension...going to D***s this weekend to try out the response, they don't seem to have the overdrive in stock anywhere and going to call LBS in the area to see if any have that Marin in stock to try it out
    There isn't a time frame, just save your bike purchase receipt. Nick started this in 2012.

If you want to upgrade your Suntour fork

When you test ride take the bike on the grass and in and out of ditches for better info.
    Last edited by eb1888; 07-15-2014 at 06:09 AM.

mtbr member
    I second the Marin suggestion. I purchased one two weeks ago and could not be more pleased. Trust me, you want the air fork!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Awesome, thanks eb1888...I'll most likely go for that overdrive sport and just upgrade the fork down the road...thanks for everyone's input...now just to test ride them lol

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Oh, another suggestion for you even though you seem pretty well decided, my local bike shop had entry level cannondales for $500 out the door. They even had last years model for $400. Just something else to look at and you might get to have test time with it instead of just looking at it in walmart.Edit: oh, and even the last year model cannondale was brand new.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Cool...I'll swing by my LBS and see if they have some in stock...looked at them online and didn't see any that caught my eye...thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    So I pulled the trigger on the overdrive sport and really impressed even with the lower end fork, still have plans on upgrading the fork to the raidon in the near future. Only thing that's bugging me is the clearance on the back tire, any input on that?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need Help on diamondback's-screenshot_2014-07-14-23-06-00.jpg  

Need Help on diamondback's-screenshot_2014-07-14-23-06-10.jpg  

I'd rather be on my bike
    Congrats on the purchase!!! As for the rear tire, as long as it isn't rubbing, I don't think that I would worry about it.
    '13 FELT TK3 / '09 Jamis Sonik
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2014 miles - 3019/2500

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I have to revise my statement on the fork on your bike. Your version with hydraulic lockout has fixed rebound damping, I'm seeing on the Suntour website. There is a 'unit' shown on the exploded view. That and the 32mm stanchions will help keep the fork usable if you are within the weight range of the spring. Let us know how it handles over multiple bumps at speed. You may not need an upgrade to trail ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Shadow. Unfortunately, most of the bikes out there that run a 3x10 and 29" wheels will be very tight near the bottom bracket. Otherwise you'd have to increase wheelbase and make the chain stays wider which would affect handling.
    Bike Doctor

mtbr member
    May 2014

diamondback

We got 2 diamondback entry level sorrentos. I have upgraded to a better bike but my wife still rides hers. I think Diamondback makes a good product.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast