1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Need Help Deciding Between 2 29er FS MTBs

Hi everyone,

I'm currently debating as to whether I should get the GT Sensor 9R Comp or the Motobecane Fantom 29er4BY4 COMP. My budget is ~$1,500 so looking for an entry level 29er FS bike. I am 5'8 @ 145 lbs and will be riding single tracks and rougher terrains if I can find some near my area.

GT Sensor 9R has the SR Suntour Raidon LO-R fork (120mm travel) and X-Fusion E1RL rear shocks (can't find on their site) while the Fantom has the Recon Gold TK fork (100mm travel) and ROCKSHOX MONARCH RT3 AIR REAR SHOCK rear.

Which bike is better specced, if I could get the Fantom for $250 more?
    Last edited by BobaX; 09-05-2013 at 01:01 AM.

mtbr member
    The Motobecane definitely has better(at least more expensive) components all the way down the list. The shifting would be much better than the stuff on the GT. The suspension is debatable but I would rather have the rock shox parts over the suntour and xfusion.

The geometry of the two bikes is actually pretty similar.

I think the GT is a much sexier bike but that Motobecane is a great deal.

Are you able to assemble the bike yourself? Its not super hard but you want to take your time and do it right. Torque everything down the the right ft/lbs etc.
    2008 Redline Monocog 29er SS/Rigid
    2013 Marin Mount Vision XM7
    FS: 26" Black Flag Expert Wheelset (new), Reba 29 Fork

EDR
    The specs on that Moto blow away the GT, especially if you consider the Moto is not the same price...but CHEAPER!

The SLX stuff is a huge upgrade from the near bottom of the line Alivio (found on my wife's $200 Trek 820). The RT3 might as well be a Fox RP23 or similar, it's a fair comparison.

Based on nothing but the spec level vs. pricing its no contest imo. But if it doesn't fit you then............

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks so much for your responses guys.

Yeah I was suspecting the parts on the Motobecane are much better. So you guys think for $250 more I should definitely jump on the Motobecane?

I've heard BD bikes have a few name brand components, and the rest are crap. Does that still hold true with this particular Motobecane? I'm not too worried about smaller stuff such as pedals since they're not that expensive. More worried about parts such as brakes, cables, frame, etc.

But yes I'm totally digging the Rockshox, they look so nice, and yes I can assemble it myself

mtbr member
    The only real spot where I can see they went cheap with the MB is the wheelset. But you can always upgrade that later.
    2008 Redline Monocog 29er SS/Rigid
    2013 Marin Mount Vision XM7
    FS: 26" Black Flag Expert Wheelset (new), Reba 29 Fork