mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Need help converting my Mountain Bike

Hey everyone (first post!),

To keep it short, I bought a 2000 Raleigh M-80 off of craigslist for $100. I don't know if I scored a good deal, but so far, I am in love with this bike!! The frame is amazing, it was built well, very light for $100 (it's even lighter than my friend's steel road bike). I mainly use this bike to commute to my classes on campus. I am a complete newbie in the bike world (I am a drummer at heart with a side of rock climbing) so I would greatly appreciate ya'lls help. I want to modify my bike to be a commuter. I guess what I'm asking are things I can buy or do to make my bike lighter and ride better/smoother. I have a minimal budget ~$300-400ish but I would like to hear all the options available for my bike. I'd rather spend that much to improve the ride quality/speed/looks of my bike than spending equally as much (or more!!) for a parking spot on campus plus the gas.

Thanks!!
    Hopefully this picture will work. If not, I'll try posting some pictures later

I am a pathetic rider...
    Sep 2007
    If your campus is anything like the campuses around here, spending any extra money on a bike is a bad idea, the nicer the bike looks the faster you will be without it. some cheap and not too theft prone upgrades are slick or semi slick commuter tires, a rigid fork will keep the thing maintenance free, I would also go single speed on a commuter, less maintenance and less bling. But prior to any upgrades I would invest in the best lock you can find.
    Save the Earth, Ride a Cyclist

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks for the quick response b4 stealth! I don't live on campus so I don't store my bike on the bike rails (or whatever they're called). For that very reason on theft, I keep it indoors. I have heard and seen some really nice bikes gone due to it being accidentally left near campus buildings or someone who has a good eye near the dorms.

I already invested in a nice thick chain link with a masterlock. I don't really trust the bike locks that are available in our town.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Get some slicks and a rack and panniers and you're set.