1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Need Help Choosing a Hardtail 29er

Somewhat of a noob - used to ride a bunch before college, and I'm looking to get back into it. The two bikes I'm considering are:

2013 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29 - $1100
    Specialized Bicycle Components

2013 Kona Kahuna - $1200
    KONAWORLD

Any input would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Put the Giant talon 0 on your list as well. Try and ride all three - they are all good bikes and one will probably feel better for you to ride than the others. See which you like the best. Buy.

Cheers

Danny B

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I really would like to try them out, but I'm a tiny dude (5'5") and the shops around here don't have any in my size, I have to get it ordered.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: Need Help Choosing a Hardtail 29er

At that price point, the airborne goblin is hard to beat.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Re: Need Help Choosing a Hardtail 29er

Definitely check out the Goblin. Sweet bike in that range.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm in the same situation as you, OP. I'm a couple of inches taller at 5'7, but looking for a similar bike in a similar price range.

The two best deals I've found are the Airborne Goblin (currently sold out of the smallest (16") size) for $1275 shipped [you'll need pedals] and the Motobecane Fantom29 Elite for $999 shipped.

The Moto has a RockShox Recon Silver 100mm TK29 Solo Air fork and Shimano XT/DynaSYS transmission and Avid Elixir3 hydro brakes.

The Airborne has RockShox Reba RL29 fork, SRAM X7 transmission, and Avid Elixir7 hydro brakes.

Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Fantom 29Elite

Airborne Bicycles. Goblin

I'm leaning more toward the Moto for $200 less including shipping and it comes with [albeit basic] pedals, and it's currently in stock.

mtbr member
    Diamond Back Overdrive , I'm 5'5" and ride a small , i find it very comfortable , less than $1000.00

review
    the weather is here wish you were beautiful

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'll also vote on the Goblin, just because the damn Reba is so good. The BAMF Kimura also looks damn good on paper, and the reviews are pretty damn nice.
    BAMF Kimura 29er Mountain Bike - Giantnerd®

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PossumDTD View Post
    Somewhat of a noob - used to ride a bunch before college, and I'm looking to get back into it. The two bikes I'm considering are:

2013 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29 - $1100
    Specialized Bicycle Components

2013 Kona Kahuna - $1200
    KONAWORLD

Any input would be appreciated.
    Alright in all honesty I love redlines: monocog, d660, d440. Each are great rides and you don't have to have the most expensive bike out there man. You wanna get back into it and drop over 1k. What if it isn't the same, upgrades for the redlines can also put their performance over some of those listed in this thread (granted this is my personal opinion) save the money I'd say. I love 29ers fantastic choice! Wouldn't go with anything else now a days. Good luck. I'm sure I wasn't much help just a thought.
    Peace, J.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    goblin is much better bike with components that are much higher end in the same price range. e.g., reba is 3+tiers up from xc28.

You can't leave this kind of bike locked up outside overnight. If you're planning to for college, get a beater.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hmm. The goblin is looking nice... thanks for the advice.