1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Need help choosing the bicycle lock

Hi,
    Been reading this forum for quite a time and finally decided to post sth.

I'm choosing between two sets of locks and would appreciate any help on this choice:

Set#1:
    Kryptonite Evolution 4 U-lock (gold raiting at sold secure) + wire ABUS 12mm / 120cm, total 55,45 (ca. 75$)

Set#2:
    Chinese cheap U-lock bought some time ago + cable lock ABUS Panzerkabelschloss Centuro 860 (bronze raiting at sold secure), total 25 (ca. 33$).

I'm choosing between this very two sets (of course, it would be good to buy Evolution 4 + Centuro 860, but it's too much money, weight and I live in relatively low-crime area).
    As mentioned, it's the low-crime area and my cheap U-lock is good enough, however, with my bike getting upgrades I want to give it a good protection.
    I'm aiming at buying a combination that will save my bike if I decide to pay a visit to other cities with higher crime-rates.

I live in Finland, so please no links to amazon or other US websites

Where will you be locking the bike, and what bike? It makes a difference.

When you're locking the bike outside, I think it's more important to have a stout u-lock securing the rear wheel to the frame and the whole assembly to the rack. The cable is just there to secure the front wheel to the frame.

If you're just wanting a lock to secure it inside your home/apartment, which would require the thief to break into your residence first, then something inexpensive would be fine, I think.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Where will you be locking the bike, and what bike? It makes a difference.
    I'll be locking it mostly during daytime outside the building. The thing is all the parking racks here are for the front wheel, so it's impossible to lock the bike to the rack with U-lock (and there are no other suitable objects nearby), so I was thinking that I use the U-lock to secure the back wheel and frame and the cable lock or wire to secure the front wheel and tie the bike to the parking rack.

Hi There!
    Could you try the 6' version of:

Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit
    Kryptonite New York Legend
    On Guard Mastiff
    NTFTC

Fat-tired Roadie

Re: Need help choosing the bicycle lock

Quote Originally Posted by legol@s View Post
    I'll be locking it mostly during daytime outside the building. The thing is all the parking racks here are for the front wheel, so it's impossible to lock the bike to the rack with U-lock (and there are no other suitable objects nearby), so I was thinking that I use the U-lock to secure the back wheel and frame and the cable lock or wire to secure the front wheel and tie the bike to the parking rack.
    Sometimes a beater bike is the best lock of all.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Sometimes a beater bike is the best lock of all.
    +1 on this,

You could use the best lock available but if someone wants to steal your bike he will figure out a way. I am not saying to not use a lock I am just saying that a lock doesn't really guarantee anything...

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Cables are useless. This is from personal experience. It takes very little effort to cut a cable lock. I now have an OnGuard Pitbull Mini u-lock (better quality, in my experience, than the kryptonite u-locks) on my wife's bike, and a kryptonite keeper hardened chain lock on mine. The chain lock gives me a bit more versatility with what I can lock my bike to. It's definitely heavy, but it wraps around my bottom tube well enough and is less of a burden than having to buy a new bike.

Everyone else is right, though. If someone really wants your bike, it's simply a matter of how long it takes to get through the lock. A good u-lock is a decent deterrent to many thieves, but it still only takes a minute or so to cut through one with a cordless cutoff wheel

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Especially if your bike will be there regularly. A thief could actually prepare for what ever you have and be gone in moments. I am gonna vote for a beater bike as well.

Quote Originally Posted by legol@s View Post
    If you have to do it that way, then you need a good chain. Agreed that cables are worthless for locking your bike to something. Well, not completely. They're okay in low theft environments.

And cheap u-locks are worse than worthless.

It probably still uses the circular key that resulted in a HUGE recall from the reputable lock companies back in the mid-2000's.
    Need help choosing the bicycle lock-ulock_keys.jpg
    Kryptonite Evolution 2000 U- Lock hacked by a Bic pen

You could use one of these methods, too.

Name:  u-lock.png
Views: 1441
Size:  55.7 KB

If you're leaving it out all day, don't forget the seat/seatpost.

Need help choosing the bicycle lock-locked1.jpg

Just don't do this:
    Need help choosing the bicycle lock-img_6710-copy.jpg

or this:
    Name:  bike-wheel-lock-fail.jpg
Views: 1355
Size:  32.6 KB

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Thanks everybody for the answers. I totally agree that the beater bike is the best option + no lock will save the bike if a thief goes specifically for it, however:
    for my area both sets that I've described are enough, the question is which one provides better security: cheap U-lock + good cable lock OR good U-lock + a wire to secure the front wheel.
    A good chain is perfect, but I'm not ready to carry 2.5kg+ around every day
    P.S. my cheap u-lock has a flat key like in the picture

Fat-tired Roadie
    Why not a good U-lock and a good cable lock? I've always had a good U-lock, but when I started commuting on something a little nicer, I added the cable. It lets me lock the bike redundantly. I don't think it was quite nice enough for someone to target it specifically, as opposed to some of the other bikes people parked in the same places, and the second lock meant it would be more trouble too.

The problem with a U-lock and a cable that just has eyes on the ends is that there's still only one lock to defeat.

Unless you meant two locks in both cases already...

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Why not a good U-lock and a good cable lock? I've always had a good U-lock, but when I started commuting on something a little nicer, I added the cable. It lets me lock the bike redundantly. I don't think it was quite nice enough for someone to target it specifically, as opposed to some of the other bikes people parked in the same places, and the second lock meant it would be more trouble too.

The problem with a U-lock and a cable that just has eyes on the ends is that there's still only one lock to defeat.

Unless you meant two locks in both cases already...
    I just think that it (evolution 4 + good cable lock) is too much for my area.
    If I lived in a big city, then I'd definitely go with this set, but as for now I think that I'll go with Kryptonite U-lock + just a 12mm wire to secure the front wheel and bike to the rack. In addition, I will still have my old u-lock if I need additional security...

Fat-tired Roadie
    As long as your bike is locked better than comparable bikes at the same rack, you're probably good. But there are no guarantees. If your bike stands out or it's locked worse, you may not get to keep it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    True, well, maybe you're right and I should really get good u-lock and a good cable lock to make sure that I don't need to buy more locks in next year or two.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Amazon.com: ONGUARD PitBull Mini DT U-Lock, 3.55 x 5.52-Inch: Sports & Outdoors

That's what I picked up for my wife. Or you could get the version without the cable (or the full-size version) and get a better cable lock. Just don't rely on the cable to lock the frame up.
    Last edited by Starfury; 11-08-2013 at 11:24 AM.

Absolutely. I don't like the u-lock with a cable and two eyes. At least upgrade to a cable/chain with its own lock so you have redundant locking. It adds time because now a potential thief has to defeat two locks instead of just one. That thief will be more likely to go after the bike nearby that's only locked with one lock, locked incorrectly, or not locked at all.