1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Need help choosing between two used bikes

Hi guys! I'm looking at 2 used bikes on my local Craigslist. One is a 2005 Cannondale F600 and the other is an 07 Cannondale F4. Links:

f4: CANNONDALE F4 MT.BIKE

f600: Cannondale 28" F600 mountain bike

The f4 is $175 more expensive but the f600 looks like it may need a little head shock work and a chain (+ tune up etc, probably).

From my research it appears the F600 is a better overall bike package. What should I do? I used to have a Cannondale that I loved which is one of the reasons I have narrowed it down to these bikes.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    The F600 looks a lot cooler and a better part spec but has problems with the fork so I would stay away from it unless there are funds available to repair or replace the fork.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Im going to say the F4. The F4 is clean as all get out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I've got a 2008 F4. Can't speak anything for the F600.

My bike has been great with the exception of a few things.

1. Juicy 3 brakes are not that good. That will be rectified very soon though as I've ordered new brakes/rotors.

2. The lockout on the head shock stopped working. Had that replaced a few months ago and was ~$80 or so. But it lasted almost 6 yrs so I figured that wasn't too bad.

3. Tires. Forget which ones it came with but they really didn't grip too well in the trails. Replaced them recently with WTB Velociraptors. Excellent grip!!!

Other than that it's been great.

Edit - Isn't there a used bike value website? I think I saw mine on there for ~$360 or so. The 2007 is made in the USA so that might be a little more valuable but that price seems a bit high.
    2008 Cannondale F4
    Shimano XT brakes, ice tech rotors.

mtbr member
    2010 specialized rockhopper expert sl

That F4 looks nice too.