1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Need help with chain

I bought this, Havoc Full Suspension 26" Mens' Mountain Bike - Walmart.com, bike about 4 months ago from walmart to get to work and back while I save for a car. Yesterday, it started having a problem with the chain when I back pedal. It pedals forward fine except for a slight rattle noise that's also new. Here is a video of what happens when I back pedal. . Side note: I don't really know much about bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    For some reason i couldnt see the video, only heard the audio. When back pedaling, is the top deraileaur pully not lining up in the center of the chain? Since i dont have much to go off of, my guess would be either: a) bent deraileaur hanger - b) the limit screws and pully height may need slight adjustment. Could need a new chain, but if you havent crashed or beat the bike up too much...id think the chain would still have life in it.

If your not familiar with bikes, its probably a quick fix (and of course, cash out of pocket) at a local bike shop. If your comfortable doing it yourself....put the chain in the middle front ring, and then the lowest cog and the highest cog (might need to go back and forth a few times, the limit screws wont do much if your not in those 2 exact rear cogs...then inspect the rear mech as you pedal back and fwd. youll usually be able to see/hear exactly where the problem is and adjust accordingly. Start with small turns. If you turn too much, it may be hard to get back to a good starting point.

Its kind of hard to explain, but the goal is to visually inspect how everything works and what each adjustment screw does. Trial and error.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'm not sure I quite understand what you are saying. I'm not sure what parts are what. Kind of pathetic, lol. Here is a link, see if that works. VID 20130612 232800 - YouTube

My little friends
    Give the rear derailleur cable end adjuster 1/2 a turn counterclockwise; your cable probably just stretched a bit, so you need to tighten it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    It looked like that is a stiff link in the chain ,slowly pedal backwards ,watching the chain when it goes though the small wheels on the derailaer . It you see a jump or hop in the chain that link is binding . Move the chain to somewhere where you can put both hands on it ,flex the chain sideways back and forth .Try it again pedaling backwards ,when you don't see a jump ,it should be better.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by EABiker View Post
    Give the rear derailleur cable end adjuster 1/2 a turn counterclockwise; your cable probably just stretched a bit, so you need to tighten it.
    What is the rear derailleur cable end adjuster? I'm a visual leaner so pictures are helpful.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by valyriefowl View Post
    What is the rear derailleur cable end adjuster? I'm a visual leaner so pictures are helpful.
    Put the bike into the middle chainring (front gear)....and a middle sproket (rear gear)

Then pedal it backwards

Is it smooth no noises?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Go to YouTube Park tool ,Sheldon Brown ,read or watch videos.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    It does for about half a rotation, then stops, like it jams. Then will repeat.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Ok. Thanks. I think that got it.