1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Need help buying Santa Cruz Blur

I am thinking about purchasing a used Santa Cruz Blur (medium) for my son and need help with what to look for when checking out the bike and making sure it's OK.

Please help and thanks!

Hi There!
    Definitely inspect the frame all over...i said all over for cracks. Use a good LED flashlight even if it's sunny out, look in all the nooks and crannies, around the pivots, etc..
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Post up a picture if you can. Is it an whole bike or just the frame your buying?

mtbr member
    That's a high maintenance bike. The bearings need to be maintained or it's going to be expensive to replace. Go to the Santa Cruz forum and check out some of the threads on VPP suspension.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    A friend found almost new blur for a good price ,if you take your time ,you might find one too. One of your local shops would inpect a bike for a small fee ,and tell you what it might need.

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Ask questions about the suspension

Do you know what year it is, or, better, whether it's generation 1 or 2 VPP? I've owned both versions of it, and VPP 1 was a high-maintenance PITA. VPP 2, however, is great.

VPP1 lower links have ends that look like this (note the black covers):

Need help buying Santa Cruz Blur-dsc_0514.jpg

And VPP2 looks like this (note that the same area looks silver):

Name:  tallboy_r_xc-detail-1.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  13.6 KB

Either one is fine, but on any VPP1 bike, be sure to ask when the last time the bearings were changed and serviced. On anything that old, you'll want it to have been done recently.

If your son rides a lot, you'll want to own a torque wrench and have basic mechanical skills. You'll likely end up taking apart the suspension every few months to clean, grease, and re-loctite it all. (I had to do this once a month when training.)