1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Need help buying a new MTB

So I've been an avid road cyclist for the last two or so years, but have also been riding my dad's Cannondale MTB whenever I can. Unfortunately, when I moved to Ohio last summer from CA, I had to choose which bike to bring, and I went with practicality. Now that I'm moving back, I'm looking to buy a new mtb. I would love some feedback on what you think I should buy and especially what not to buy and what brands to avoid.

Here's some info about me to give you a better idea of what I might need:

I'm 6'5, 165 pounds (yes, super tall and skinny). I love single track, which is what I plan on using it for mostly, but I also enjoy trials courses and jumps and such. I think I need around a 21" frame, and would like to stay away from 29" frames.

I'm looking to spend $550 or below (emphasis on "below" haha). I worked as an AmeriCorps for the American Red Cross for the last year so funds are tight. I understand that doesn't leave me a ton of options, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Any and all help is appreciated! Thank you!

mtbr member
    GT Avalanche 3.0 w/disc goes for $499 at Performance Bike. I caught one for my wife on sale for a $100 off of that price, so there are deals to be had. Giant, Specialized, Trek etc all have bikes in the range you're talking about. I don't think one is necessarily any better or worse than the other. I'd try some out and see which one "speaks" to you, feels the best etc. Look at the level of components, but at the price point you're targeting, nothing is going to be super high-end. Which is ok if you're just basically going to be 'trail-riding.' More options (better bikes) open up if you're willing to search used on Craigslist and the like.

Good luck!

Some Dude
    I'm 6'3" and bought a 21" frame, and that is what is recommended for us tall guys. I don't know if you wanted to buy new, but you can find some good deals on CL. I found my Specialized Hardrock on there after constanly keeping an eye out. So many brands out there, I guess you might have to do some test rides at the LBS!
    Last edited by ccs1676; 07-31-2011 at 08:09 PM.

mtbr member
    In that price range it's gonna be tough to get a great bike. Maybe decent if you really shop around or consider BikesDirect.
    Could go the used route and get something special.
    The most important thing is that it fits you well and you likey, so go test ride.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Though it can be a craps shoot.. you might want to check out ebay.. and if you do that, I'd wait till the end of the season when people begin to experience their buyers-remorse on recently purchased bikes.

That worked for me!

mtbr member
    UPDATE: What does everybody think about this deal?

http://www.rei.com/product/812603/gt...disc-bike-2011

mtbr member
    That's a great deal... I have used that exact bike--except it was an '08 I think--for actual 'real' mountain biking and it held up fine. However, I think that's a Large and at your height, you may actually need an XL. Is there a local REI where you can check it out? (or some other bike shop with a selection of GTs)?

mtbr member
    very similar to my first bike.. I'd say that's a pretty great deal (though msrp's are deceptive)