1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Need help with buying a bike.

I am a new rider....again. By that I mean when I was younger and in high school, I had took my mountain bike everywhere, but as time went on I became busy and haven't really been biking since. I no longer have my bike, so I need a new one, so whats a good bike to get? I live in Va Beach, so we have limited bike shops. There is a Performance Bikes here where I have spent time researching. My question is, I was looking at a GT avalanche 2.0 I believe. It was $400 with disc brakes. Is it a good reliable bike? I will be riding mainly on state park trails, not down the side of a mountain, but the occasional jump here and there. Is GT a good brand, and if not, for my budget what should I get? As for disc brakes, if I have the bike for a while, should I get a bike with disc brakes instead of upgrading later? I have a limited budget, $400 is about the max I want to spend, should I save up some more money? I have been reading a lot of the posts here and have already compiled a list of questions but I figured you guys were the best source for a non-biased, knowledgable opinion. Thanks so much.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sumner929
    I am a new rider....again. By that I mean when I was younger and in high school, I had took my mountain bike everywhere, but as time went on I became busy and haven't really been biking since. I no longer have my bike, so I need a new one, so whats a good bike to get? I live in Va Beach, so we have limited bike shops. There is a Performance Bikes here where I have spent time researching. My question is, I was looking at a GT avalanche 2.0 I believe. It was $400 with disc brakes. Is it a good reliable bike? I will be riding mainly on state park trails, not down the side of a mountain, but the occasional jump here and there. Is GT a good brand, and if not, for my budget what should I get? As for disc brakes, if I have the bike for a while, should I get a bike with disc brakes instead of upgrading later? I have a limited budget, $400 is about the max I want to spend, should I save up some more money? I have been reading a lot of the posts here and have already compiled a list of questions but I figured you guys were the best source for a non-biased, knowledgable opinion. Thanks so much.
    Read the product reviews for the various bikes on this site. There's are a great deal of good info on them. $400 is kinda low, but you should be able to find a decent hardtail in that price range. Look for year end close outs and even some good used models. Do a lot of research before you buy used though.

Bikes are in a lot of respects personal preference as they tend to share some similar components in similar price points. You'll have to ride a few and get a feel for the differences. Milimeters can make a huge difference in feel and handling. GT does make some good bikes, as do many other brands. Upgrades are pretty expensive, so you'll want to get as much as you can for your money, or you'll spend a lot more on upgrades. Again, the reviews are going to be your greatest research tool as you look fo the perfect ride.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Like a dumbass I posted a thread then went to look around. So far I have found a great deal of information regarding my bike buying process, what to look for, prices, etc... I must say, you all are very helpful and knowledgable. So thank you very much for all the help and information. Cheers!