1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Need help on a build!!

Hello, new to the forum and fairly new to bikes in general, ive ridden bike for a long time but im one of those people that never really understood what he was riding, so im looking into a project of building a full suspension mtn bike because i got ahold of a 2007 sette ace xc frame, it basicly is only the frame and the rear suspension, just looking for some help and direction into what parts i need to pick up to finish it, because im a little overwhelmed with it right now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Building a bike with retail price parts is always more expensive than buying a compleat bike. But if you buy used , take offs and clearance you might do allright. You need a fork that matches your headtube most likely a 1 1/8 sterrer, long enough ,a headset .You need wheels ,to match the frame and the fork .There are different axles and sizes. Cranks,and bottom bracket to match the frame and each other. A cassette and chain to go with the cranks. Shifters to match the cassette/chain rings. Derailuers, the front needs to fit the seat tube. Brakes , levers ,grips ,handle bar ,seat ,cables and housing,pedals. You can buy kits that have the drive train and brakes ,google Shimano or Sram groupos. You can look on Ebay for prices and deals ,Pinkbike and Craig's list for used parts.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Building your own bike is costlier....but much funner. Open your mind and start learning all about bike parts, for this build NOW. Get a picture in your mind what YOU want it to look like, ride like and weigh. Explore MTBR entirely and view as many bikes as possible. Use the search function and see what other Sette owners have done to their rides.

Begin feasting your eyes HERE:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=2007...w=1024&bih=625
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I bought the sette frame for $100 and it came with a good saddle and carbon fiber post, also it has a shimano lx can't remember the exact name but it's the front sprockets behalf and crank, and front and rear derailed which I see those components going for $150 on ebay auctions so that's what I was gona do then buy a group set, wheels, and front fork, seems like that's all I'll need