1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Need Help With BMX!

Earlier this week I bought a second hand Wethepeople 4 Seasons BMX for 230 and have noticed two problems.
    Firstly, the spokes on the rear wheel feel lose and I can shake them side to side.
    Secondly, yesterday I gave the bike a quick rinse with the hosepipe before riding it for the day, this morning I've noticed that the cranks have gone extremely stiff and I have to push quite hard to get them to spin backwards where they would spin easily before. Could this be because the bottom bracket is about to kick the bucket?
    Are these big problems and is there anything that I can do?

I am relatively new to biking and want to prevent any damage that may occur.

Thanks,
    Leon
    Last edited by {TrailRipper}; 04-04-2013 at 01:05 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    If the spokes are loose enough that you can move them around, yes this is a pretty huge problem. You'll need to have them tensioned and the wheel trued most likely. The crankset issue could be a couple of things. Either the crankset is too tight entirely or the bottom bracket could be bad. Quick trip to a LBS would be the best bet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by owensjs View Post
    If the spokes are loose enough that you can move them around, yes this is a pretty huge problem. You'll need to have them tensioned and the wheel trued most likely. The crankset issue could be a couple of things. Either the crankset is too tight entirely or the bottom bracket could be bad. Quick trip to a LBS would be the best bet.
    Do you know if it will be an expensive fix?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Without seeing the bike I can't say for sure. Not to mention all shops have different service rates. Most shops will give a free estimate on repairs, though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Okay then, I'll have to take it for check up on the weekend, Thanks for the help!

bay area CA
    It usually costs around $ 15-20 US to get the wheels trued. If you're pretty handy, you can buy a spoke wrench and do them yourself. I've gotten so good at it, I do all my wheels myself without a truing stand. As for the cranks, it sounds to me that the bearings are about to go bad. What kind of cranks are they? I'm guessing 3 PC cranks, if so take the crank arms off and inspect. If you're not comfortable tinkering around with it, take it to a shop. Good luck!