1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Need help with bike purschase (used)

Okay so I just moved to Denver and want to take up Mountain Biking. I have a couple friends who are also getting into it. I will be riding down hill alot but I'm sure I will do a little of everything but not long long distance cross country stuff. I have done some reseach and found a couple good used bikes I think. Please let me know which would work better or if you have a different option. Want to stay below $500 the cheaper the better. I will be putting more money into uprgrads I'm sure later. Also I'm 5`10" 155lbs

1997 Trek Y5. No breaks in welds and shocks are good. Looks almost like new. I hear this is a oldy but good. Only draw back I see is you cant put disc brakes on back.
    Cost $325

Specifications of my Y5.
    Frame: 6061 Aluminium
    Rims: Matrix Swami
    Stem: Bontrager
    Bars: Bontrager Race 5
    Bar ends: Bontrager Race 6061
    Gearshifters: Gripshift 24 speed
    Mens: M
    Brake levers: Shimano Servo Wave Action
    Brakes: Shimano V

2003 Iron Horse SGS Expert. Heavy bike but will last long time. Needs new rear tire. Might be too small.
    Cost $525

EXTRAS: Includes 4 new downhill tubes, 2 new sets of brake pads

COMPONENTS

Frame: Small (should fit up to ~ 5’9”), FSR linkage geometry, 6 or 7” of rear travel

Fork: Manitou Sherman Breakout (6” travel) – top-mounted travel adjust with Rapid Travel II, TPC, 32 mm stanchions, evil semi-bath lubrication system, and Hex-Lock through axel
    Shock: Fox Racing Vanilla R (rebuilt by Fox with no mileage on it)
    Brakes: Hayes HFX-9-HD hydraulic disk with 8” rotors
    Crank: Truvativ Hussefelt freeride crank (38/28t)
    Stem: 1.5” Ringle Evolution
    Pedals: Wellgo B57 platform
    Handlebar: Easton EA30 riser
    Tires: 2.5 Maxxis Minion ST downhill with sticky rubber (front tire still has wear, but rear tire will need to be replaced)
    Rims: Mavic F219 disc, Formula hubs
    Shifters: Shimano LX
    R Derailleur: Shimano XT
    F Derailleur: Shimano LX

PLEASE HELP!! WANT TO BUY SOON BEFORE THERE GONE
    Last edited by neuler; 06-16-2008 at 03:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The Iron Horse looks like a good deal,plus it's not nearly as old as the Trek.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    +1 on the Iron Horse
    Ever been to Mountain Bike Tales Digital Magazine? Now if only the print rags would catch on!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks guys I joined this forum Friday and couldn't post until now. It was driving me CRAZY! I'm really excited to make this my summer hobby! I'm sure this forum will have me spendy more money than I should. These things always do get expensive! Is there any other good bikes I should keep my eye out for that might be around $500? I'm trying to get a responce about a 2005 Yeti ASX for $600. Seems like a awesome deal.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    the trek will be a solid bike, but it is an antique. might be tought to get parts for. my dimes would be the IH for now, unless you find something better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Sorry,double post

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Is this the one you're looking at?

http://boulder.craigslist.org/bik/687345400.html

If so it looks like a pretty good deal,but he does mention it has a lot of miles on it so make sure it's in good shape.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CRed
    Is this the one you're looking at?

http://boulder.craigslist.org/bik/687345400.html

If so it looks like a pretty good deal,but he does mention it has a lot of miles on it so make sure it's in good shape.
    thats the one.... but no response so its probably gone. Oh well. I did all my research on suspension bikes but maybe for the money and my use I should look into hard tails I guess I will spend some more time searching Craigslist for a good hard tail and checking reviews and orignal MSRP for each one. Man this gets old I just want to hit the trails SOOO BAD!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Yeti ASX....

Update: I just got a reply fromt the seller of the Yeti in Boulder and he said he decided to keep the bike....

Great... another hobby...
    Jun 2008

500+?

If your talking in this range why don't you look at an enty level hardtail like a rockhopper or q620? You also said you would upgrade so these would be fine frames to do that on.
    Ride to the base... Climb to the top... Life is peachy!
    Titus FTM
    Felt Q-620

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Are you talking about new hardtails or used for that price? If I can find a used one on craigslist with some upgrades what would be important? How important is disc brakes?

Jun 2008

New

I bought my Q-620 for 599 with disc brakes and decent hardware all around. Granted I have already upgraded the fork, switched from mechanical to hydro brakes, changed out the shifters and pedals NONE OF WHICH IS REQUIRED!!!!! This is all personal preference and I planned to do this with this bike.

You can also buy a specialized hardrock comp disc which is comparable to the stock Q-620 for about 515-550.

Me in that range I would buy new from a LBS utilize the free service and plan to upgrade later when I know what I want to do with the sport.
    Titus FTM
    Felt Q-620

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I just bought an 08 Rockhopper Disc on Craigslist for $400!! Cherry condition. Keep an eye out and you can find a steal.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Rockhopper Disc

Quote Originally Posted by Coop29
    I just bought an 08 Rockhopper Disc on Craigslist for $400!! Cherry condition. Keep an eye out and you can find a steal.

Something like this?? Would this be a good deal... if I can get it for like $450? Also is this going to be a good down hill bike?
    I have a 2007 Specialized Rockhopper w/19 inch frame that is too big for me. I'm sad to have to sell it but I need one that fits better!

It has only been ridden on the road, never the mountains, with a few dings in the paint. Was bought new for $700. Shimano Alivio components, disc brakes, lock-out suspension. I'm willing to negotiate the price. The picture is from the day that I bought it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Or you could get this new...

http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id....&category=4959

Very nice components(other then the fork) and the black model looks great.

Jun 2008
    the lock out suspension is real handy especially if you plan to commute on this bike
    Titus FTM
    Felt Q-620

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Or you could get this new...

http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id....&category=4959

Very nice components(other then the fork) and the black model looks great.
    Man that black one does look sick and it would match my Blacked out new truck... just a nice bonus. It says (Cross Country) would it be decent for down hill runs?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by neuler
    Man that black one does look sick and it would match my Blacked out new truck... just a nice bonus. It says (Cross Country) would it be decent for down hill runs?
    Not the best downhill bike,more of a climber and for XC.I'm not sure about the Rochopper,if it's good for DH or not

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Something like this would be decent for DH I think...

http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/775009

Jun 2008
    thats a great price, i agree about the fork change it out for a dart 2 or 3
    Titus FTM
    Felt Q-620

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Something like this would be decent for DH I think...

http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/775009
    yeah but the biggest they got left is 16" I'm 5`10" I think that would be too small, right? The Iron horse has a 17.5" and a 19.5" what would fit me better?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by neuler
    yeah but the biggest they got left is 16" I'm 5`10" I think that would be too small, right? The Iron horse has a 17.5" and a 19.5" what would fit me better?
    I'm 5-10 and have a 20" frame,the stand over is a little tight,but otherwise the cockpit is a good fit(I have long arms!).Either one would probably work although I'd go for the 17.5 to be on the safe side,I don't think it would be too small.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Oh,and with the money you save you could get these...

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...n+Fork+07.aspx

Tell me they wouldn't look great on the black Warrior,eh?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    CRed.. that would be a nice setup. I have to ask, back to the used 2003 Iron Horse SGS Expert. The guy told me he baught it new in 2004 had about 10 runs on it over 2 seasons and then broke his back He hasn't rode it sinse, had the shock (FOX) rebuilt so it's good to go. Said its a great DH bike. The big question is he is 5`9" and said it fits good, but the bike is a small (frame). Would it be better than the Warrior?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    for DH?Yeah it would be better for DH riding if that's what you want to do.That SGS looks like a good deal to me.It looks like it should fit you fine,but go check it out to make sure.You might need a longer seatpost though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast