mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Need help with a bike choice <----newb

Hello.
    Im about to buy my first mountain bike. So I have looked a lot at all the online stores. My budget is $300 ( not too much I know) and the only new bike I would buy is

Airborne Spectre Airborne Bicycles. Spectre .
    But people on singletrack.com advised me to check out the craigslist. And so I did. This is what I found:

2006 Kona Shred $280 BikePedia - 2006 Kona Shred Complete Bicycle

2004 Marin Rocky Ridge $350 firm BikePedia - 2004 Marin Rocky Complete Bicycle Ridge&Type=bike

2004 RockyMountain Vertex30 $350 obo BikePedia - 2004 Rocky Mountain Vertex 30 Complete Bicycle

So I just wanted to ask which one would you buy.
    TIA.

hardcore
    Jul 2010
    Well. even though the second link is not working i google it that
    the shred and the RM ridge are dirt bikes. the vertex is pure XC. totally different bikes as in geometry and purposes. fi you like any ride over 10km get the vertex

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    What kind of riding will you be doing?

I just got my first bike and got into mountain biking with a similar budget. I wanted something that would last and that I could upgrade components on over time. Most bike shops said that for true mountain biking you need something like a Hardrock or similar, and they're $400 +. I was patient and kept up with craigslist for a few weeks and an '08 Rockhopper in great condition came up for just $275. The main thing to me is to get a bike you won't outgrow (skillwise) in less than a year!

Picture Unrelated
    1. It doesn't matter how much you spend or where you get the bike from the first rule is that the bike HAS to fit you properly.
    2. Test ride any bike you consider before you purchase it.
    3. Used bike can often times have lingering problems, if you can take the bike to a shop to have it checked over before you buy it.

I'd keep saving and buy a bike from a proper bike shop. You'll get a warranty and the support of the shop to keep the thing running. You'll sometimes also get a discount on accessories when you buy the bike; don't underestimate the cost of helmets, gloves, pumps, bags, and so on.

Just so you know, bike shops are hitting the time of year when they start closing out their 2011 models, it's probably worth stopping by a few shops to see what they have left over.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by furryurry View Post
    Hello.
    Im about to buy my first mountain bike. So I have looked a lot at all the online stores. My budget is $300 ( not too much I know) and the only new bike I would buy is

So I just wanted to ask which one would you buy.
    TIA.
    I had a similar budget and picked a Jamis X2.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    where do you live? head into the local bike shops and test ride a few bikes in your price range (if you had a few more bills in your pocket). that will help you dial in the size.

You are very unlikely to get a new bike for $300 but it shouldn't be too hard to come up with another $100 which will probably get you into a starter bike. Make sure that you test ride bikes from different manufacturers; trek, giant and specialized are likely candidates. Also, if you have a performance bike near you, they will be much closer to your price range and they have more frequent sales.

unless you walk in prepared to buy a bike, don't go to the LBS at their peak hours. that would be a little rude. no issues IMO heading in during the evening hours mid-week to have a spin around the p-lot though. take your time, be patient and stay within budget. the right bike will pop up.

once you have your general size dialed in, you can begin to look for deals in the local LBS, on craigslist and on the local mtn bike forums. used bikes can be a great deal or a nightmare. educate yourself before diving in - not solely at the cost of the LBS though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thank you all for all the the replies, and I ended up with a Kona Shred. Got it used for $220. Here is a couple of pictures of it:

Knowledge over Swag
    Aug 2011
    Accessories are a *****. They closing on fast to my bikes new cost. lol. Nice bike btw.