1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    Specialized Hardrock Comp

Need help about chain guards and upgrades

I recently purchased a Specialized Hardrock Comp. My primary usage is urban riding to and from work. I have to wear dress pants to work and have had a few pair get cut up from getting in the chain and gears. I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions for a chain guard to keep my pants from getting ruined. Also, the details of my bike are below. I'm planning on starting to do some mountain riding and would like any suggestions of things I could upgrade.

Thanks,
    Jason

# A1 Premium Aluminum frame, disc only, double butted TT, ORE DT, externally relieved head tube, reinforced disc mount, forged dropouts
    # RST Gilla Plus RA Disc fork, 100mm, Cro-Mo steerer, 30mm stanchions, coil spring, rebound and preload adjust
    # Avid BB5 brakes, mechanical disc, 6" G2 Clean Sweep rotor
    # Shimano FCM-341-8 crankset, Octalink Spline, replaceable rings
    # Specialized/Alex HRD 26 rims, double wall disc w/ eyelets
    # Specialized Resolution tires, 26x2.1", 60TPI, wire bead

FRAME A1 Premium Aluminum, disc only, double butted TT, ORE DT, externally relieved head tube, reinforced disc mount, forged dropouts w/ replaceable 98954020 hanger
    REAR SHOCK N/A
    FORK RST Gilla Plus RA Disc, 100mm, Cro-Mo steerer, 30mm stanchions, coil spring, rebound and preload adjust
    HEADSET 1 1/8" threadless
    STEM Specialized 3D forged alloy, two bolt, 25.4mm, 10 degree rise
    HANDLEBARS Alloy 25.4mm, 38mm rise, 620mm wide, 8 degree back, 6 degree up sweep, 3.2mm thick
    TAPE / GRIPS Specialized Enduro, dual density Kraton
    FRONT BRAKE Avid BB5, mechanical disc, 6" G2 Clean Sweep rotor
    REAR BRAKE Avid BB5, mechanical disc, 6" G2 Clean Sweep rotor
    BRAKE LEVERS Avid FR-5, alloy "V"
    FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano Acera M-330
    REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano Alivio M-410
    SHIFT LEVERS Shimano Alivio M-410 SL Rapid Fire
    CASSETTE / FREEWHEEL Shimano MFHG-40, 8-speed, 11-32t
    CHAIN Shimano HG-50, 1/2" x 3/32"
    CRANKSET Shimano FCM-341-8, Octalink Spline, replaceable rings
    CHAINRINGS 42S/32S/22S
    BOTTOM BRACKET Shimano ES-25, Octalink Spline, cartridge bearing, 68 x 126mm for 50mm chainline
    PEDALS Specialized alloy platform, 9/16"
    RIMS Specialized/Alex HRD 26, double wall disc w/ eyelets
    FRONT HUB Specialized Hi Lo disc, 36h, CNC flange and disc mount, QR
    REAR HUB Shimano M-475 Disc, cassette, 36h
    SPOKES 2.0mm (14g) stainless
    FRONT TIRE Specialized Resolution, 26x2.1", 60TPI, wire bead
    REAR TIRE Specialized Resolution, 26x2.1", 60TPI, wire bead
    TUBES Specialized schraeder valve
    SADDLE Specialized Body Geometry, ATB
    SEAT POST Alloy micro adjust, 30.9mm
    SEAT BINDER Alloy collar w/ QR
    NOTES Chain stay protector, reflectors, clear coat, owners manual

not your average bear
    May 2005
    Two options: Lose the pants ( throw 'em in a backpack or messenger bag) and wear shorts, or use something to keep 'em tight (rubber band, some kind of strap, tuck 'em in your socks, etc.).
    I don't believe there is a decent chain guard available.

I post too much.
    Your bike has 3 rings up front I believe. You can replace the 3rd(biggest one) by a bashguard for very little money. I think you could go that route.

Maybe stick a close ratio road cassette in the back to make up for the lost big ring.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    You could also try this:

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/133...-Bashguard.htm

It leaves you all 3 rings and gives you some log/rock protection.

But regardless, you should bind/fold and roll/something your pant leg. Even the best chainguard is only waiting to eat your pants and toss you from your bike.

College Boy
    I know you can pick up a strap thingy somewhere that will keep you pants from hitting you crank. A LBS in my area sells them and honestly I need to pick one up myself.
    One thing I did do for a while is I would role up my pant leg on my right leg so it could not get into my chain ring. Looks really dorky but keeps my pants safe.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Timeless
    Looks really dorky but keeps my pants safe.
    Who cares what you look like as long as you are in one piece at the end of the day.