1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Need help

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Need help

I started Mountain Biking few months ago and luv it. Right now I have Schwinn hardtail and its not cutting it, I used my boyfriends Trek and I loved it but of course it's to big for me since my boyfriend is over 6 feet tall. I am looking to get full suspension bike and need a little help. Because I enjoyed my boyfriends Trek I started reserching and found the bike I like but since I do not know much about bikes I could use your help. I really like TREK FUEL EX 8 WSD 2010, FOX 32 F series front suspension and FOX Float RP-2 rear suspension, shifters Shimano SLX. Please help me because bike is expencive and I do not want to make mistake spending all that money on bike that may not be for me.

Former Bike Wrench
    The Fuel line with the ABP pivot are excellent bikes...is there anything in particular about this bike that you would like clarification on?

MTB skillz = NADA
    That is a nice Trek. Also, Specialized has a women's specific line of bikes in HT and FS (Myka HT, Myka FSR, Era, & Saphire). You may want to look at those as well. It may give you a few more options on what to look for.
    Since I don't like writing, I don't have a blog to pimp. This space for rent.

mtbr member
    The best advice anyone can offer you is to just find a bike store you trust and try several models out. Yes, the Treks you mention are great bikes, but there may be others and you can probably benefit from some guidance on sizing. If the staff are competent, they should be able to assist you in finding the right bike for you; not just in terms of stature, but also in terms of skill level, riding style, and the particular demands of your local trails. Starting out at the place where your boyfriend bought his is probably a good idea.

Having a bike store that you know and trust is one of the most important aspects to getting the full enjoyment out of mountain biking. Especially when you are starting out, because they can offer advice and guidance as you ramp up your knowledge and experience.

And no - I do not work for a bike store. I was just fortunate to have a good one nearby so when I had questions or problems they were willing and able to help.

AZ
    banned
    All the above , go ride alot of bikes , as many as you can , hopefully on the trail . Keep posting with any questions , its a steep learning curve but there are a bunch of knoeledgeable people here to help . Good luck .

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I just picked up my EX 8 this weekend, but haven't had a chance to ride it except on the road so far. Next weekend I'll get a chance to ride it on the trails. Like others said ride a few and if you have any specific questions ask.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Its amasing that I received responce so fast thanks. My main concern about this bike is that it does not have reviews yet and last year model people had bad things to say as in tires are garbage and shifters. Like I said im not the best on bike parts but I heard that shimano is great but then the reviews say other wise. I deffinetly need full suspension bike because since I started riding that's I can think about. I go 3-4 times a week (weekend's, after work) and im starting to get pretty good "I think lol" but my bike cant handle it and it's holding me back. I do have a bike shop in mind and its the same one that my boyfriend got his Trek becuase he was really happy with them.

Thanks again.

Fat-tired Roadie
    It's rare for bikes to ship with good tires. What "good" means is very dependent on your local trails and the way you like to ride your bike, so a lot of riders swap tires before they even go onto their trails the first time. Same deal with the saddle and pedals.

The shifters are fine. I have the previous badging (LX) of those shifters. Not all Shimano stuff is good - they make some cheap components too - but the EX 8 has solid stuff.

Depending on your proportions, a WSD bike may or may not actually be a better fit for you. Like AZ Mtns says, ride lots of bikes.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Maybe I can try renting few different bikes at the park that I like. They have a pretty good selection of bikes. Ill let you guys know what I find. Thanks for all your input