1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Need help with 1st (real) bicycle

Hello everyone, my name is Joe. I am looking to get into biking to try to get into better shape and have some fun with my family (my wife and daughters). I am 5' 10" and go about 240lbs. We will mostly be riding paved paths mixed in with some light trails. I have been looking online for a couple weeks and have seen some decent looking deals, but really have no experience to determine if they would actually work for me. The latest "deal" I have found is a Gravity Basecamp 3.0 for $399 shipped. Thoughts, suggestions? I am open to anything. Price range is $500 and under (if possible!). Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Or Windsor Dover 3.0 comfort?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Need help with 1st (real) bicycle

Visit your local bike shop (LBS) and talk with them. They'll tell you what you need (size, type, etc.).

Not trying to blow you off, but they're the experts and can probably answer all your questions. Buying online may not be the best option at the time since you may not know what you're looking at or what you're looking for...

Additionally, your LBS may offer a pretty good discount on the bikes if you're buying for the whole family.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'd go 29er. The BD Gravity 29 Point1 is set up for bike paths and easy trails.
    Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29Point1 29er Mountain Bikes
    The fork is not designed for the multiple bumps at speed of the more difficult/fun trails. Start riding those and you can upgrade through Suntour to an air fork- Raidon for 175 from Nick at Suntour. You could do a little better and drop 1.5lbs. off the front with a RockShox Recon Gold air fork from Random Bike Parts for 240.
    An air fork is better also for setting the sag for heavy riders.

mtbr member
    Here's another one to consider:
    Airborne Bicycles. Guardian
    I ride at night - see my tips for Night Cycling
    My Blog: Cycling For Beginners

mtbr member
    I highly recommend buying a bike in person rather than online. I bought my first bike online and I was very disappointed. Buying abike at a LBS gives you the ability to actually try the bike out and see how it fits you. Best of luck to ya.