1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Need fast drying lube for handle bar grip install.

Guys, does anyone know of a lubricant to use when installing grips so I don't have to wait all night? I'm getting my new handle bar this afternoon and want to go riding a few hours after maybe 2-3 hours later. I've looked at the air compressor method, but that seems to only work with grips that are plugged on one end, mine are open on both ends.
    Last edited by parkp81; 07-29-2008 at 09:45 AM.

Nice no rass
    A little hairspray.

mtbr member
    Air compressor method will still work. I've watched my LBS do it in front of me with my old grips that were open-ended

mtbr member
    Do you recall how it was done? with the air compressor. I have an air compressor handy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neu5p3ed
    Do you recall how it was done? with the air compressor. I have an air compressor handy.
    Yep. Just a normal blow gun with a small nozzle. Push the grip partially on the bar by hand then pull part of the grip away from the bar enough to fit the nozzle in. Blow in some air (and keep blowing the whole time) and you should be able to slide the grip by hand into the right place

mtbr member
    I will give it a shot! If it doesn't work I guess i'll have to resort to a little bit of hairspray.

Thanks guys!

bi-winning
    If you don't have hairspray, rubbing alchohol works pretty well.

I've installed grips without using anything before. It is removing them that give me more trouble.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Never thought of the rubbing alcohol, but my guess is that it should dry faster than hairspray correct? This is just my guess from normal use of rubbing alcohol to clean things.

bi-winning
    Never thought of the rubbing alcohol, but my guess is that it should dry faster than hairspray correct? This is just my guess from normal use of rubbing alcohol to clean things.
    I have not conducted any trials in my lab.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    I've used rubbing alcohol at home and it dries really really quickly. I haven't tried hairspray so I can't compare. If you aren't quick enough the alcohol will dry before you can even get the grip all the way into position. Can be very frustrating.

mtbr member
    Ok, I will give it a go hopefully I won't need to if the air compressor works. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    aquanet is the easiest and stickiest to use. also, spray paint. motocrossers have been known to use spraypaint, but... they have also been known to be a little left of center. i have used aquanet on countless occasions and it works like a charm. keeps the grips from slipping when complete too. that is good.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Just use Lock ons

Team Fearless Descender
    My vote is for the compressor, but you do need to have one, which it sounds like do. If not, then hairspray. Best are the lock on style, that is if they make a style you like.
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

mtbr member
    I will get lock on grips once these are toast.

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    I've used rubbing alcohol.

For foamies, probably hairspray and you still have to tie them down.

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bschanz
    aquanet is the easiest and stickiest to use. also, spray paint. motocrossers have been known to use spraypaint, but... they have also been known to be a little left of center. i have used aquanet on countless occasions and it works like a charm. keeps the grips from slipping when complete too. that is good.
    Yep, but I always let em dry at least overnight if not 24 hours so they don't slip off and hurt meself.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Windex glass cleaner