1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

need to convince my mom

After I looked at IBEX bikes, I decided that I should go with them since their prices are good.

The problem is that my mom doesn't want to buy online. Can any of you give me some advice on how to convince her that buying online from Ibex is okay? She wants to buy locally.

size isn't an issue since i can ride my dad's bike. He is 6'4'' and he rides a 23 inch schwinn something. I think i will be fine with a 20 inch ibex.

Any help would be appreciated.

Life is Good
    Sorry buddy but I'm gonna have to side with your mom on this one. I am one of the "support your local shop and they'll support you" kinda guys. You're lucky shes even cooperating with the part about buying the bike! My mom always sighs when I buy stuff...

Any local Ibex dealers?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    if she wont get u the ibex, bring her to a bike shop and show her the one with about same spec and see what she says. it will prob cost $100-300 more. but then lbs do take care u of when u need it,....i guess.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Usually if you buy online you don't have to pay tax unless were you are buying from is in your state. The extra money saved can go towards parts.

mtbr member
    Ibex is probably the best bang for the buck as far as component build. The other thing is that I am pretty sure that they have a 30 day money back guarantee. What do youhave to lose?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks guys i think my mom might be convinced by the lack of tax. that probably saves me about 70 dollars.

Do any of you know about how large your inseam would have to be so that the IBEX Trophy Comp 20 inch would be too small? I don't want to start another thread for this........

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by noobking314
    Thanks guys i think my mom might be convinced by the lack of tax. that probably saves me about 70 dollars.

Do any of you know about how large your inseam would have to be so that the IBEX Trophy Comp 20 inch would be too small? I don't want to start another thread for this........
    How tall are you, and what's your inseam? You could take your measures and email Ibex and let them help you. I've heard that they're pretty helpfull and would help you as much as possible to get the right fit for you.

Edit: why does your mom doesn't want to buy online? It might not be the money the real reason. Has she told you a reason? Not everyone feel safe about buying online.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    My inseam is approximately 33 inches. It's very important that i won't grow out of this bike.

Just out of curiousity, if I did grow out of it couldn't i just buy a larger frame from IBEX and replace the components? I don't want to do that, i'm just curious if that's possible.

So would I grow out of the 20 inch bike? I am slightly under 6 feet at the moment and the doctor predicts that i will be 6'4'' when i'm older. It would be rather odd since that would mean that the trophy series is off-limits to tall people.

ride hard take risks
    You can have mom call Ibex 1-888-741-1464, they will pick up the phone & talk with her. Sometimes hearing a voice attached to a bunch of pictures on a web page makes better sense. As chono123 said you can take her to the LBS & show how much you are saving by being a smart shopper & buying the best bike for your money. With the extra money saved you can take her out to lunch. If she is concerned about who is going to repair it if needed the LBS should have no problem working on it.

Sizing http://www.ibexbikes.com/sizing_index.html

Yes they do sell frames only.

Good info for repairs.
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/bikemap.asp

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/

mtbr member
    Buy from a shop so if you have problems they can fix them.

mtbr member
    Ibex bikes are awesome, i own Trophy 880. i was a little apprehensive about buying online but i just couldnt pass up on such a deal. look around on this forum there are tons of threads about ibex bikes, you will not hear a single negative comment about them. if you do decide to go with an ibex make sure you call or email them to ask about proper sizing.

if you still want to support your local bike shop then you can buy all your accesories and get any repairs done there.

Collector of Scars
    Feb 2006
    I really can't fault IBEX for their prices, and everyone who owns one seems to like it. Dogonfr posted a link to a flat-bar road bike that has me thinking about ordering from them, so I'm apparently joining the crowd.

That said, I still ain't real comfortable ordering something like that online. I've got a real good rapport with my LBS, and get some pretty darn good deals there, so to order one wouldn't benefit me all that much in that respect. Also, I'm a big fan of being able to lay hands on a bike before laying down the hard-earned green for it. Handling, riding, and actually seeing the bike are important aspects, at least to me. But what do I know?

I say support your LBS, but if you decide to go with IBEX, I don't think anyone can fault you. Again, this is just my opinion. Take it or leave it.

Ross
    "I don't wanna die without any scars. So come on, let's do it before I lose my nerve" - Tyler Durden (Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk)

ride hard take risks
    I have a LBS that gives me great deals on parts & i have not bought a bike from them. I do send people to them & know of 4 people that have bought bikes from them on my referal & others take there bike in for work or just to buy parts. Im not sending them a fortune but a few more customers are alaways good. I have a friendship with them & that goes a long way. Bike shop employes are people also & they enjoy it when you go by say high, bring your friends in, it's all buisness that = money.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    MSU_Grad_121: They do also have a sastisfaction guarantee, so if you don't like your bike you can return it, though you have to pay $40 for shipping probably....

The only bike within my price range at both LBS is the rockhopper comp disc. I have heard the rockhopper is a good bike, but it's going to be more expensive than the trophy comp after tax, and clearly has inferior components.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    The fit is important.

How old are you?

It doesn't make a lot of sense to spend a lot on a bike that you want to last for 3 to 5 years if it will only fit you for another 18 months.

A 20 inch bike is likely too small for most people that are 6'4".

I have a hunch you are 14.

My son just turned 15 and he is just shy of 6'2". I bought him a 21" Giant Iguana two years ago when he was shorter than you and he did fine with it and it fits him well now.

Measure twice, cut once.

If you and/or your father (or mom or sister for that matter...) are pretty good at repairing and maintaining your bikes, online might turn out to be a good deal.

If not, paying a little more at a good local bike shop may turn out to be a better deal in the long run. A lot of that depends on the shop and your ability to cultivate a good relationship with them.

Your mom actually cares where you buy the bike? Good for her.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    good guess i am 13.

the geometry page says that the top bar height is 31, which is sliightly smaller than my dad's (about half or one inch shorter). but why would ibex make a series that doesn't fit taller people?

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by noobking314
    good guess i am 13.

the geometry page says that the top bar height is 31, which is sliightly smaller than my dad's (about half or one inch shorter). but why would ibex make a series that doesn't fit taller people?
    Have you called Ibex & talked with them?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

no because my mom still stands strongly against anything over the internet.

there's no rush anymore since i missed the pre-launch sale

how are ibex prices at stores?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    They don't sell at stores. AFAIK, they are only available through their own website. Earlier posts indicate that they go on eBay rarely.

If your mother is too worried about online purchasing, perhaps you should have her read a little more about buying online. I don't think anyone here is worried about making the wrong decision and getting phished. Reputable companies like Amazon.com or eBay.com have existed for many years now and there are no instances in where they steal credit card numbers from you. Of course, you should always be wary from where you buy because just like in real life - some deals are too damned good to be true.

Educate her..there should be no reason she should feel worried about purchases unless she really wants to support a bike shop instead. In that case, she's entirely justified.

ride hard take risks
    Haha nice reply. Ibex is a net company only. Maybe you can send mom a email of the Ibex web page on warranty.

http://www.ibexbikes.com/warranty_index.html

http://www.ibexbikes.com/FAQ.html

http://www.ibexbikes.com/testimonials_index.html

Life is Good
    I have a Rockhopper Comp Disc. Its a 2001, though, but for what its worth to ya, its a great bike. I've ridden it hard for 5 years and it has held up (though I admit I ride my other bike more).

Still, haven't had to replace much on it.

Freshly Fujified

You won't convince her

I think dogonfr has the best approach to the situation in having her call Ibex herself. Based on your post stating that she "stands strongly against anything over the internet", then I believe you won't change her mind. Us parents are kinda silly this way My advice is to go to the LBS with her, choose a nice bike and enjoy. Some day you will be in a position to make your own choices, and at that point you can buy locally, online, or wherever you choose.

Just my 2 cents.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Collector of Scars
    Feb 2006
    Yeah, I know IBEX has a return guarantee, but my concern is the shipping. While I'm not sure, I'd be really surprised if they refunded for initial and return shipping. Most places won't, let's just say it that way. And you figure $40 each way can get kinda pricey.

I'm not dogging IBEX at all. They've got some great specs, no doubt. All I'm saying is that fit it THE MOST IMPORTANT THING. Components are a second or third. If they only do internet transactions, it's not like you can lay hands on one to check the fit. That's all I'm saying.

Call_Me_Clyde makes a good point. At least it sounds like you're not gonna convince your mom no matter how long you badger her. That's not a bad thing in that there are some people who absolutely WILL NOT do anything over the internet. It's something you're just not gonna change, so why fight it, ya know?

The RockHopper is an excellent bike for the money. Good frame, good geometry, and pretty good components. I know you've got your heart set on the IBEX, but if mom has any say, you might wanna start looking at something at your LBS. I'm 27 and have been on my own since 18, make my own money, etc, but when my dad really gets something into his head, it's like beating your head into a brick wall. It feels good when you stop, so don't get yourself all upset about it.

Anyway, good luck either way. Let us know how it goes

Ross
    "I don't wanna die without any scars. So come on, let's do it before I lose my nerve" - Tyler Durden (Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk)

ride hard take risks
    Mothers day is comming up. Breakfast in bed, print the front page from Ibex to be used as a placemat, dont forget the silver ware & a napkin. Be shure to be as polite as possible bringing breakfast in, good morning Mom happy Mothers Day, can i get you something to drink Mom, some orange juice? Make shure to go back & check that all is ok & when she is done take the plate to the kitchen & clean everything you used so she has nothing to do.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    lol the problem is that my mom hates the "breakfast in bed" stuff. she is the kind of person who wants me and my bro to write her a letter instead

I have been defeated. However, I shall return to ibexbikes.com when i am 18

Maybe she'll pay the tax if i buy from a LBS

I'll tell you guys what I get.......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast