1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Need chainring advice

My 2010 Specialized Hardrock came with sr suntour 42/32/22 chain rings with 104mm 4 bolt pattern. I chewed them up in less than a year, and now get chain suck. I bought a RaceFace bash guard that replaced the 3rd ring, and hope to keep it since I've really needed it at times.
    I've tried shopping for the set with no luck. All i find is the 3rd ring only. It would be great if I could get slightly larger first and second rings if at all possible. I do 90% trail and rock climbing. Can you guys recommend something for me?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    So your bash guard will replace the 42T ring/be mounted where the 42T ring was.

Are you looking to purchase a new 22 and a new 32, or do you want slightly bigger for both of those?

Also if your front chainrings are all worn out, there is a good chance that your chain and rear cassette are done as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TXDesertRacer View Post
    My 2010 Specialized Hardrock came with sr suntour 42/32/22 chain rings with 104mm 4 bolt pattern. I chewed them up in less than a year, and now get chain suck. I bought a RaceFace bash guard that replaced the 3rd ring, and hope to keep it since I've really needed it at times.
    I've tried shopping for the set with no luck. All i find is the 3rd ring only. It would be great if I could get slightly larger first and second rings if at all possible. I do 90% trail and rock climbing. Can you guys recommend something for me?

Thanks.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    So your bash guard will replace the 42T ring/be mounted where the 42T ring was.
    Correct. I've had it there for half the life of the bike which was shortly after I chewed up the 3rd ring on a boulder.

Are you looking to purchase a new 22 and a new 32, or do you want slightly bigger for both of those?
    I want to go bigger, but have no experience in doing so. I don't know what size to get or how to find only the smaller two.

Also if your front chainrings are all worn out, there is a good chance that your chain and rear cassette are done as well.
    the LBS did a rear dérailleur replacement, then told me I needed a new chain, so they sold me one. That's when the chain suck started. I quickly learned that it happens when you don't replace everything at once.

mtbr member
    K, you could replace the 22 easily with a 24 - lots of those on the page I gave links to - or any other online retailer for that matter.

As for how much bigger to go for the 32 - well that really depends on what sort of ratios you needed.

If you were using the big 42 and had the rear cassette in the 11 tooth, then you were hauling some serious a$$, and things will get much more complicated.

If you were only half way through the rear then you could probably be ok with just increasing it to a 36 or so.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Well, I hope I ordered the correct set, but I went with this in the 104/64bcd: Race Face Team Chainring Sets > Components > Drivetrain > Chainrings | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Thanks for the help.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Can you cancel? With that set, you're getting neither of the things you said you wanted.

The "without thinking" higher-geared set for 2 rings +bash would be a 24 and a 36. You can buy those individually from these.
    Race Face Race Rings 4 Bolt > Components > Drivetrain > Chainrings | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

I think Race Face rings shift pretty nicely.

For a bit less and (probably) longer wear life, get the 24t ring for the Shimano SLX crank.
    Shimano SLX M660 10 SPD Chainring > Components > Drivetrain > Chainrings | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

I believe it's still steel.

Don't buy a Shimano middle or large ring for your crank - they don't always play nicely with other brands. The small ring has flat faces and should do fine.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Well, I didn't relay the whole thought process that came afterwards. Over the weekend, I checked my bash guard again, and it's labeled for 36t and comes very close to the 2nd 32t ring. I figured I better stick with the 32t ring for the extra chain clearance.

Originally, I thought I wanted larger gearing so that I didn't have to swap out the bash ring and just road bike with 2 gears. However, after removing the bash guard, I figured it's not really that hard of a swap. And when road biking, I REALLY want that 44t.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Fair enough.

When you've got $300 burning a hole in your pocket, I highly recommend riding a few road bikes.

Enjoy the new rings.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx