1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Need a buy a bike.. Advice?

Need to get a new bike to get around town... so i dont need those hardcore dirtroad and trail bike thats gonna get bashed up... suspension would be nice.. but not necessary..

im 6'4 , need a mountain bike thats possibly under $200...cause im a student, cant afford those $700 bikes... dont care bout brand, as long as it can hold out and not break down every month.

i live in canada.. so i guess i can goto toys r us or canadian tire, zellars, walmart.. all i need is a name/model number, so i can watch for them... thx for ur help!

ride hard take risks
    For the price range your looking at which ever one gives ya wood buy it just make sure it's not a FS HT only you'll be fine.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    im looking at this
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp;jsessionid=IVFRYae14AkwgIsdtPrv 87dgpTqxqwJcpJd8BVeNI9CRCqPALZQz!-1373070044!172915495!7205!7305?postal=m5a2n8&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443286396&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396672077&bmForm=form_set_price_list&bmFormID=1213564305806&bmUID=1213564305806&bmHash=a2f36b43d691e25ccba9ec63853b8dd3492df876

for $199...

mtbr member
    Do not get that bike.
    It looks terribly heavy, and you're going to run into all sorts of issues with the rear suspension. It's a terrible design made to look high-tech, but it's only going to be a headache. Please, for your own enjoyment, stick with a hardtail. For some reason, they don't have any $200 hardtails, but the one for $99 looks sturdy. And I think sturdy is the best you're going to get from that lot. The "dual-suspension" model is NOT sturdy.

Go for this one. $99:

Not this one.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMook
    Do not get that bike.
    It looks terribly heavy, and you're going to run into all sorts of issues with the rear suspension. It's a terrible design made to look high-tech, but it's only going to be a headache. Please, for your own enjoyment, stick with a hardtail. For some reason, they don't have any $200 hardtails, but the one for $99 looks sturdy. And I think sturdy is the best you're going to get from that lot. The "dual-suspension" model is NOT sturdy.

Go for this one. $99:

Not this one.
    I'll drink to that.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Those department stores aren't likely to carry a properly sized bike as they are sold mostly for kids in the toy department. If you have a Sportchek in your area look for the Diamond Back Odyssey or K2 Zed, both are $199 and will be a decent ride for your needs.

http://www.sportchek.ca/sportchek/do/menu?menuId=231