mtbr member
    Sep 2014

need a bit of jump help

Ok recently joined cuz I have trouble with one thing since I have started biking last summer. I still can't do jumps. I don't know if it's just me getting intimidated or I'm doing something wrong. I get into attack position before the jump and all that jazz then I loosen up and I'm in the air well about an inch off the ground. AND I GO ON BIG JUMPS! I don't get it but I practice whenever I can with school back and I have to practice the sax and homework but I can luckily get to the jumps for about a half hour but help would be appreciated

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    You need to go faster... And let the bike do some of the work. There's a ton of instructional videos on YouTube that will help you get the idea but it's really just practice.. Can you wheelie and bunny hop? That's really the beginning stages.. Having full control over the bike. After that you should feel more confident to try hitting jumps looser at faster speeds.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    ditto to that. gotta put in time. time learning to pull up the front as high as you can while just toodling around town. lift it over a hose, then a 2x4, then up curbs, and when you can get it really high- like flipping it over or at least getting it close to your chest- learn to bunnyhop. it's not that you have to bunnyhop off every jump- speed and a ramp can certainly put you in the air- but knowing how to control your bike in the air in what would otherwise feel like awkward positions- is what's going to help you with jumping. Then... you gotta put in the time jumping. if you do a little practice at all these things every time you ride, you'll be much better next year same time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Find a place to practice drops too.. Try to get the landing part down as well. There's a lot that goes into jumping but all of it involves control of the bike. You're getting scared right before take off because you don't have the confidence.. And adding all these skills will help with that.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Learn to bunny hop 12 inces off the ground and then do it at the crest of hills.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Don't be too loose going over jumps. You don't want to be so stiff you lose control, but your arms and legs are your main suspension. Riding over jumps loose lets you absorb them. Which is the opposite of what you're trying to do.

Practicing bunny hops is good advice.

I'm the first to admit I'm not particularly good in the air. But for me, the initiation feels most like a manual.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx