Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Need a Bigger Hydra-pak

932 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  outdoornut 
#1 ·
I'm looking to upgrade my 4-yr old M.UL.E. I love the thing, but I need more room for storage without killing myself on the climbs. I want a nice blend that's good for commuting and the switchback. I'm crap at determining storage space, but need room for the 100 oz bladder and change of clothes w/ maybe a pair shoes. For a load like that, am I looking for 1000 cu. in. or more? :confused:

#2 ·
Have you looked into the HAWG? I also got the Mule, and wish now that I'd gotten the Hawg. I'm not sure I'd want to go much bigger than that, as then we'd be talking about a full-on backpack. A buddy has a Hawg and it seems to work well for him, even in the tight singletrack. The next step down from the Hawg looks to be the Blowfish. The difference between the two is about 100cu.in. (700-800).

HTH

#9 ·
Sure...as long as you replace the bladder with a Camel Back one. I've owned several "other" brands of hydration packs. The packs themselves vary in quality...some real nice, some not so nice. But they all fell short in the bladder department. I've had a couple just start leaking at the most inopportune time. I had another burst when I landed on it in a crash. NONE of my Camel Back bladders (since about 2000...previous models had some issues) have done this. In fact, the bladders have outlived the packs!!!

#10 ·
I've got the mule and the hawg. Since buying the hawg last year I haven't touched the mule. It's big enough for two bladders on the hottest summer days in Phoenix and cinches down very small when all that space isn't needed.....And, like all camelbak's, it's bombproof.

You could look at other packs from Noleen(sp?) or whoever just to be different, but for 50 bucks, the hawg can't be beat imo, so why bother?

#11 ·
P_ton said:
Survey says: HAWG...but, are there any other hydrations worth looking at?
My Son and I purchased JanSport hydration packs 3 years ago. Still running the same
packs and the only thing I have done to them is replace the Bite Me valves. I've crashed
hard a few times and it keeps on going. Can't remember the model of mine, it looks very
similar to this one.
http://www.blackdogbikes.com/cart2/product.php?productid=25&cat=6&page=1

This one is about the same as well. Probably not as big as the Hawg though.

http://www.bagking.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?page=BagKing/PROD/HP-02-01/TK05

The price on the Hawg sounds like one heck of a deal though.

ODN

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.