1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Need Advice on Upgrades for my New Bike...

I have a new Klein Attitude V Disc (2005) and so far the only thing I've upgraded is the saddle. I'm going to switch the pedals out. After that, what should I be looking to upgrade over the next 12 months or so? A link to the specs is directly below. Give me some advice guys! I'll probably ride it as-is for a few more months and then start to tinker with it.

http://www.kleinbikes.com/us/mountai...isc/index.html

Thanks guys!

w

ride hard take risks
    Upgrade the masters to HFX-Mag's, Galfer rotors & pads.
    Your LBS can order through BTI for you.

http://www.bti-usa.com/list.asp?cat=BR&mfr=GL&showSec=1

http://www.bti-usa.com/item.asp?item...wSec=1&filter=

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I was thinking more along the lines of seat post, handlebars, stem, headset, cranks, etc...why the brake-related recommendation? Not saying you're wrong, just curious.

w

Work Hard, Play Harder
    I have an 06 trek 6700. I did a good amount of upgrading to it so I could get rid off all the bontrager crap. I added a Thomson seatpost and stem, a WTB TXC riser bar, WTB rocket v stealth saddle, shimano 540 clipless, ODI lock on grips, WTB exiwolf tires, and salsa wheel and seatpost skewers. All of these upgrades have made my bike alot more enjoyable for me. As for the brakes, my bike came with the same hayes hfx 9 hydraulics, and I think they work great. My next upgrades are going to be mavic xc717 rims and xt hubs. Then the crank will be replaced with most likely a race face. So that's how I upgraded mine..............just some ideas for you. Good luck
    06 Rocky Mountain ETSX - Full XTR, Fox Shox, Crossmax XL Wheels

Freshly Fujified

Why even upgrade??

Quote Originally Posted by willx45x
    I was thinking more along the lines of seat post, handlebars, stem, headset, cranks, etc...why the brake-related recommendation? Not saying you're wrong, just curious.

w
    From what I see, the bike is well spec'd in the major areas of fork, drivetrain and brakes. You talk about upgrading parts that have no immediate impact on the performance of the bike, IMO. A seatpost or handlebar is a piece of aluminum or alloy metal. The headset is the only component that I personally see that might be lacking. It says it has "semi cartridge" bearings, whatever they are. Even so, I don't think that if you replace any of the items you listed that you would come away saying the bike is faster, handles better, corners tighter or is otherwise "upgraded" from it's current spec. Even the "Bontrager Race" level proprietary parts on this bike are categorized in the "better" classification if you rate them as "good, better, or best".

Unless you are looking to lose weight on the bike, or for some other reason feel the parts you'd like to upgrade will have some sort of catastrophic failure as a result of using the bike in typical XC or aggressive XC riding, I'd leave the bike be and replace parts as they wear out or break. At that pont, then start looking at things like headsets with sealed cartridges, or name brand handlebars or seatpost.

I hope this helps.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

ride hard take risks

w
    As CmC said the bike is well speced the HFX-9 masters i personaly dont care for the lack of modulation this is persol oppinion though & Galfer pads are awsome. If you have good brakes it makes you riding better when the trail gets sketchy, much better control.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    CmC, you have persuaded me not to do anything. I can't really see spending a bunch of money to upgrade parts that are essentially meaningless in the performance of the bike. The bike rides great on the road, trail and otherwise, so I suppose I should just leave it be. The only pressing upgrade seems to be the pedals. I think I can do better than the 505's. Just to help a newbie out, explain to me why the headset is so important and why I may want to consider upgrading at some point. Also, what do you mean when you say "sealed"? Do I have some areas of my bike that are not truly "sealed" at this point? Such as the bottom bracket or various bearings?

Thanks much!

w

It's about showing up.

Upgrade only when

it breaks or wears out. Other than that learn how to ride better, maintain your bike, and take better care of yourself. THAT will make the most difference.

local trails rider
    Why do you have to upgrade?
    Like others are saying: upgrade when it breaks or wears out, or you feel there is some other specific reason to replace a part.

Is your handlebar the wrong shape? Is your stem the wrong length? Is your seat post not holding the seat in the right place? What is wrong with your headset? Are your cranks creaking?

ride hard take risks
    He already said he is taking CmC's advise & leaving it as is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    He already said he is taking CmC's advise & leaving it as is.
    indeed. 1500 plus on a bike....if you were so ready to replace the components, next time maybe you should consider building your own bike.

but if you do care to upgrade, the best and most noticable improvement one could make is the saddle. and if you want to exhange out the rise bar perhaps...maybe different clipless. see the pattern, everything that links you better to the bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I only paid $1,000...got the 05 model on closeout. I wouldn't have paid $1500, but for $1000 you can't find a better bike. The frame alone is better than anything at the $1,000 price level.

w

ride hard take risks
    I only paid $1,000...got the 05 model on closeout. I wouldn't have paid $1500, but for $1000 you can't find a better bike. The frame alone is better than anything at the $1,000 price level.

w
    You did awsome, right on stay cool