1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Smile Need advice on a rigid fork replacing my suntour on 2012 specialized hardrock

Ive a newbie question.I want to get a rigid fork to replace my SR Suntour XCT on my 2012 specialized hardrock.I mainly just ride on the street with a little offroading. I want a new fork to shed some weight off the bike.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Ok, so what's the question?

The inexpensive go-to is the Surly 1x1 fork...
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    thank you for replying. I have read about that one.my question would be which is a good one and how will I know if it will fit my bike? my float is 80mm I believe but don't I need to know some other measurements?

mtbr member
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Well, you're going to want a 1 1/8" steer tube diameter to start.

If you're buying used, you're going to need to know steerer tube length (when you buy new, you don't really need to worry about this, as they come long and you cut them down to fit). You don't want to buy one that someone has already cut short for your bike.

Your other consideration is going to be the axle to crown measurement - the distance from the center of the wheel to where the fork meets the bottom of the headset in your frame. You can try to keep it around the same if you're happy with the way your bike handles now, or you can possible go a little shorter or longer, which would give you a little quicker or more relaxed front end handling (you can read up more on this in the stickys at the top of this forum).

Stolen from the depths of the web:
    "440mm+/- - non-corrected. "standard" 29"er. offsets can vary with HTA for the builder's preferences on handling

465-470mm+/-, +/-42mm offset - "standard" 80mm sussy-corrected

480-485mm+/-, +/-42mm offset - 100mm sussy-corrected

The above numbers are (decent) approximations of the forks out there, with sag accounted for. They are all approximate, but it should at least give you a ballpark idea of what the frame/fork was designed around."

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    2012 Hardrock was available as 26" and 29", what size do you have ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    nah, its a 26"

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    thanks for the support you all I think ill get the surly 1X1

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    Just to cover all bases, what kind of brakes do you have? If cantilever, be sure to get a fork with brake pivots.
    ~Always avoid alliteration.

Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/NearlyFr...ew=0&flow=grid

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Need advice on a rigid fork replacing my suntour on 2012 specialized hardrock

So if a person wanted to raise their handlebars while replacing the fork, could the stem be cut longer and spacers be added?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yup - you can leave the steerer tube long and run spacers under your stem. I wouldn't tend to run more than a couple inches of spacers, though I don't know if there's any sort of actual basis as to why not, besides looking kinda goofy.

If you can't get the bars up high enough this way, the 'stem' is actually the part that connects the handlebars to the steerer tube - you can go with a steeper stem that rises up more than your current one. Can go shorter/longer also. Higher rise handlebars are another option.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Many forks specify a maximum spacer stack. Should be in the documentation somewhere.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Thanks. I'm not sure about actually raising the bars at all right now, but even on my XXL frame, the handlebars are way lower than the seat right now. Good thing my knuckles drag.....

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    There are a couple versions of these around.

Delta Threadless Riser Stem - Mountain Bike Stems

Be handy in determining where you want to end up, though I dunno if I'd do any really hard riding on one.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

I bought and installed that Delta riser about 2 weeks ago. What an improvement it made! My neck and shoulders feel so much better. The fork seems more plush than before, riding off curbs and such, I can feel it working. I guess shifting that torso weight rearward will do that.