1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Need advice. Link, etc inside :)

Hey well i'm obviously new here. I thought i'd post some info about me..

I'm 15, freshman in highschool, and want to get a MB soon (does this sound like a personal ad? )

so i've been looking around, and not quite sure what brand to go with. I used to ride BMX regurlary, and had a schwinn(before they sold out to walmart) and I currently have a redline. I don't ride bmx anymore, but I am interested in getting a mountain bike and hitting up some local trails. I want a pretty tough bike, and me being a big guy( 5'11 225 lbs) it needs to be pretty well built. I will ride a lot of trails; aggresively, and maybe some small ledges, jumps, etc.I was looking locally around me on ebay, and found this bike..(i hope ebay links are allowed).

http://cgi.ebay.com/FUJI-NEVADA-MOUN...QQcmdZViewItem

I looked on the fuji website for the nevadas, but there are many different models. Judging that the ebay one is an older year, im not sure which one it is.

Is this an ok bike for what I want to do with it? I have a LBS near and I really like the place. I've bought two bmx bikes from there before, and he has some nice mountian bikes. I almost bought one before, but the price tag was near $500, and that's a little too much for me.

Ok, sorry for the long read. I hope this shows that 15 year olds can use full sentences & decent sentence structure

TYIA for replies.

mtbr member
    That is a kinda small fuzzy picture to be using for buying a used bike. If you are into jumps and stuff, you will probably want a full suspension.

If you can afford $400, this sounds like the kind of bike you are after:

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/IGN-1-Details.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I agree its a pretty bad picture. I don't wanna wait too long for my bike though,

The only full susp. bike i've rode was really bouncy in the rear, I wasn't impressed. I guess because it was a cheaper one. I'll try to get better pictures from the seller. Is it a decent bike, though?

Formerly DMR For Life
    Quote Originally Posted by dcairns
    That is a kinda small fuzzy picture to be using for buying a used bike. If you are into jumps and stuff, you will probably want a full suspension.
    I would have to disagree...with only a couple hundred to spend he is better off getting a hardtail....lower end FS's tend to have poor quality shocks, and can be quite bouncy

to the OP look at a hardtail from Kona (www.konaworld.com), Norco (www.norco.com), specialized (www.specialized.com), or Ibex as was mentioned

DMR
    Last edited by Full Mountain; 04-30-2006 at 05:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    So is the Fuji a no-go? I don't want to penny & dime the hole thing, but the bike is close and is pretty cheap(as of right now). If it stays, say under $150, should I pick it up?

Formerly DMR For Life
    see if you can have a test ride before you buy it....if not...bib at 100 and see if you get it...its not a bad bike but i'm not sure how long it would last going off jumps as its designed as a cross country (XC) bike

DMR

mtbr member
    Have you asked the Ebay seller about the bike? What kind of components, what kind of shock, tire type and condition. It almost sounds like it is setup for paved roads.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dcairns
    Have you asked the Ebay seller about the bike? What kind of components, what kind of shock, tire type and condition. It almost sounds like it is setup for paved roads.

Yes I did, just a minute ago. He probably won't respond tonight(its 10:40 here). too bad the bidding ends tomorrow. Guess i'll just hafto watch it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Buyer sold it locally

i wonder how long ibex bikes take to arrive?