1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

... and if we just ... Need advice for exchanging parts from a Trek Wahoo 2013 to a Giant Talon 29er 2 2012

Hi my friends, I need some recommendations and advice for Exchanging parts from a Trek Wahoo 2013 to a Giant Talon 29er 2 2012.

The reason I am exchanging to the Talon is because the wahoo frame is too large for me.

Let me know if there might be some improvements I can make on the Giant with the trek parts. For example; levers, caliper brakes, crank set, back and front derailleur, shifters, etc.

I already exchanged the saddle and the suntour xcm fork on the giant talon.

You can compare all parts from both bikes in the following link:
    2012 Talon 29er 2 vs 2013 Wahoo in Mountain Bikes (MTB)

or at

Trek wahoo information at Trek:
    Trek Bicycle

and
    giant talon 29er 2 2012 at Giant:
    Talon 29er 2 (2012) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

I was also thinking into putting the whole back wheel of the trek wahoo to the Giant Talon, but I am not sure if I should.

Thank You, Every advice will be appreciated, even the small suggestions.
    Last edited by bennycast; 08-24-2013 at 08:15 AM.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Kind of a wash, I think. I think Giant's cheap wheels are a bit better than Trek's cheap wheels.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The bikes are very much alike. The things you need to check are the seat tube diameter (for the post and front derailuer) The head tube for length and if they are both tapered or not. For the wheel it looks like they are both quick releases as long as they are both the same width. You should be able to use the cranks that are on it ,there might be a chain line issue.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    The bikes are very much alike. The things you need to check are the seat tube diameter (for the post and front derailuer) The head tube for length and if they are both tapered or not. For the wheel it looks like they are both quick releases as long as they are both the same width. You should be able to use the cranks that are on it ,there might be a chain line issue.
    Both tubes are 4 1/2 diameter. both not tapered.
    the wheels are exactly the same size 622x19.

mtbr member
    Buy a work stand.
    Sell the Trek and get a better fork for the Giant.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Sell the Trek and the Giant and get a better bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Kind of a wash, I think. I think Giant's cheap wheels are a bit better than Trek's cheap wheels.
    what do you think about the hub

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    On a scale of 1-10 you are dealing with 3-4 level hubs and other components and the bike with the better frame geo-wise doesn't fit you. If you put both bike back together and sell them you can look for a close out Mamba in your size. You will have 5-6 level components on a frame worth future upgrades. You may find a used 2012 X-Cal and come out even more ahead of anything you can get with your existing parts choices.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I was including the hub as part of the wheel.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx