1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    "The Rookie"
    Apr 2012

Need advice on a decent entry level suspension bike. Used Enduro or new Camber.

My LBS has a 2012 Specialized Camber Comp 26 on sale. It lists on their sales tag as retail of $1849.99 and is on sale for $1387.50. Just wondering what everyone thought of that deal??? I am currently just riding a commuter right now. A 2011 Specialized Crosstrail Disc Sport. I am looking at moving into mountain biking after years of dirt bike single track riding. Would this be a good entry level bike that will keep me happy for 5+ years? My LBS also has a used 2005 Specialized Enduro Pro for $500. It is in really good shape with no major damage on frame. Has the original fox rear shock with no leaks. It has been serviced by the shop and had many parts replaced. However most of the parts were replaced with lower quality parts. It has new Specialized the captain tires, entry level wheels and a entry level front rock shox. New avid mechanical discs brakes and a new rear cassette assembly. I am relatively new to the bike world so that's all the info I can really offer. My buddy that works at the shop basically said they are selling the bike for a price to cover their parts and time in the bike. I know those are two different bikes and in was just looking for a little bit of advice for a good first bike. I am at a position where I can easily go down and buy the Enduro right now for cash and ride away. The Camber is conisderably more and would take me a bit to save for it. Have a good relationship with the shop and they would probably hold it for me with a down payment. What do you guys think? Basically I am looking at some XC riding and single track in southern Oregon. Nothing to extreme, and not into racing. Could I make the Enduro a 5+ year bike?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    If you come to enjoy mountain biking, you will want a new (to you) bike before that 5 year mark comes. My advice would be do set a comfortable budget and find the best used bike that fits that budget. Outside of warranty benefits, I don't see much point in buying brand new other than having the latest and greatest.

As far as a full suspension first time bike goes, look for something that has 100 -140mm of suspension and a head tube angle between 67 and 69 degrees. I wouldn't get a 29er as your first bike either, although a lot of people and bike shops will try and talk you into it.

When looking at used bikes, give the frame a good look over looking for cracks, cycle the suspension through its range feeling for crunchiness, spin the wheels to see if they are true, shft the gears to see if they are responsive. I would also go with disc brakes. And again, find something that works for you now and not 5 years from now because if you come to love the sport you will learn lots and probably get a new rig by then.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    A couple things, with the good partsi the Enduro was 30.5lbs. and bike of the year. Have your friend weigh it and see if he can get you a demo opportunity. See how you like the ride with the different fork. And ride the Camber.
    Last edited by eb1888; 04-06-2013 at 09:25 PM.

"The Rookie"
    Apr 2012
    I can definitely do a demo ride. And I'll look into the weight issue. As far as the other advice about sticking to the 26 inch, I like that. My shop did suggest a 29er but I like the 26 idea.

mtbr member
    That's a pretty good discount on that Camber. Are 26 inch bikes really out of fashion in your area? I wish my local Specialized dealer discounted like that.
    He who dares....wins!