1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Need advice choosing a bike

I'm trying to buy a used bike, I've read several arguments for and against new/used bikes, but I really don't have the budget for a good, new bike right now

My budget is 250~
    I'm considering these bikes as of now
    MENS TREK MTN BIKE
    Men's Mountain Bike GIANT
    G T AGGRESSOR 3.0
    Nishiki Mountain Bike
    Trek 830 Mountian Trek XC, 20", tall mountian bike
    19.5 in GARY FISHER MT BIKE
    20in TREK MT BIKE 21 SPEED

I've done a little research and these are the bikes that for the most part meet my hazy requirements
    I'm going to be commuting and riding just about everywhere, mostly on paved roads, occasionally hitting trails, I'm located in the bay area
    I don't think I have hardtail/full suspension preference
    I'm 19, weigh 140ish at 5'11
    I have pretty long legs

I'm shopping mostly through craigslist, I stopped at one bike shop in Watsonville but I could tell they were more interested in selling me a bike than actually helping me

I'm open to suggestions and other sources :O

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    You'll need to try different bikes out and see which you find the most comfortable. When looking at used bikes make sure the drive train isn't rusted out, there are no creaks in the frame/fork, and you don't feel grinding in the bearings. If you gey a bike that doesn't fit right, you won't enjoy riding it, so be sure to get one that you will want to keep riding.