1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

New question here. Need advice on bike options

Reading a whole lot of information on mountain bikes here in the forum. When I start to think I've gotten all my info, I'd realize that I'm more confused than ever. It's been a while since I had a bike and I want to get into mountain biking here in Phoenix, AZ.

I've looked at a few bikes and the more I look the more confuse I get. But I've narrowed it down based on prize (mostly bikes on sale). Could check out my options and tell me which one you'd pick and why?

SCOTT Aspect 660 Bike - SCOTT Sports
    Fuji Nevada 1.7D Mountain Bike - Black - Sport Chalet
    Haro Flightline 2 Mountain Bike - White - Sport Chalet

Also, is BikesDirect.com a good place to buy bikes?
    Last edited by DailyGuy; 10-10-2013 at 11:59 PM. Reason: not complete.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I wouldn't. I've been riding for many years and finally have a stable job, so I took a deep breath and spent a lot of money on my most recent one.

Within any given pricepoint, one company's hardtail is fairly similar to another's. Though in this case, I think I'd be leaning toward the Fuji or the Haro. Disc bikes are becoming easier to find parts for.

Ride them all and buy your favorite. The most important thing to get right is size. So try to ride a couple sizes.

My first two mountain bikes were basically just pricepoint/size decisions. I think I did reasonably well, actually.

If you want to stretch a buck, see if you have a shop in your area that deals in used bikes.

I'm not a fan of online catalogs as a way to buy complete bikes. I think being able to ride a couple sizes is a big value-added that retail provides. If you buy from a real shop, you also get local support. Search BobaX's recent posts - he did bikesdirect.

Good luck!
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks. I tested all but the Fuji Nevada. So I'll be doing that today after work. Also found Giant Revel 29er 2014 for $550. It's above my budget but I'll see if I can talk them down. What's your thought on that compared to others mentioned above?

Revel 29er (2014) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

Fat-tired Roadie
    Pretty comparable. You're not likely to get a ton of movement on that price, since it's a '14.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Finally bought my bike. Decided to spend more and got the Specialized Hardrock Sport 2014! I love it.

I'd like to get your opinion on my post today though: 2014 Hardrock Sport - right size?