1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Need advice on the best bike for me

Hello, I recent purchased a cannondale caad2 off cl for $150. It was good for my budget and seemed like a good deal. I chose that over a trek alpha 4300. This is my first real mountain bike(if I can call it that) and want to make sure this is something I really want to jump into before spending a lot of money.

is this a good start for a trail bike? I am very new to this and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Rod
    mtbr member
    I have to point out the obvious, stop by here before you purchase your next bike. Second, don't have buyer's remorse for a 150 dollar purchase. In a nutshell, you purchased a bike to try out the sport. If you decide you like mountain biking there are better bikes out there waiting for you to purchase, and if not, then you can sell the bike and get your money back.

Okay, onto this bike. I've never ridden this bike, but from the reviews on this site, it appears to be an older, and a very capable bike. The reviews give that bike a 4 out of 5.

You can take this with a grain of salt, but if I were you I would give the bike a shot, and here's why. It's a mountain bike and it's capable of being ridden off road. Some department store bikes aren't safe to be ridden off road. Safety is my number one priority. It may need a tuneup. If you're not capable of that, take it to a local shop, Again, we have to be safe.

After that, hit the trails. Start with an easy trail and work your way up. Ride the bike until you feel like it's holding you back. Then you'll have an idea of what type of what type of bike you'll want in the future after you get in some seat time, see other bikes on the trails, and get in some test rides. That turned into a novel, but I wanted to give you more feedback instead of saying, just ride it.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

Fat-tired Roadie
    How about some pics?

The way Cannondale numbers their bikes, I don't even know if something called a CAAD2 is a road or a mountain bike. Obviously from context I know a bit more, but...
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Here are a couple pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need advice on the best bike for me-20150228_201736.jpg  

Need advice on the best bike for me-20150228_201711.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice looking bike.. Just get out there and ride!
    "Project Yard Sale" - 2015 Roadmaster Granite Peak 26er. Laugh it up...

mtbr member
    Cool bike for 150!

Maybe get that fork checked out and see if it needs a service.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I started on an old bike too. Get used to the sport, and if you feel like you're really going to get into it, then you're gonna want to get something better with more bells and whistles. For 150, it' an ok bike. I don't think you'll regret it. If something, resell it and move on.

Trail Prospector
    Rod (post #2) gave very good input, please read it.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

Rod
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post
    Rod (post #2) gave very good input, please read it.
    Thank ya. I would buy that bike for 150 just to have a loaner or a bike to just ride around town.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Thank you to everybody who commented. I'm happy with the purchase. I'm excited to get on the trails after I take it to the local shop. I guess my main concern is if it would be ok for trails. Which after reading around it seems to be good for that.

Rod
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RusoMtb View Post
    Thank you to everybody who commented. I'm happy with the purchase. I'm excited to get on the trails after I take it to the local shop. I guess my main concern is if it would be ok for trails. Which after reading around it seems to be good for that.
    After it having a tune up, I would ride that bike on anywhere I take my current bike. Have no worries at all. It's definitely capable of being ridden off road and in that bike's prime, it was raced off road. Enjoy!

Fat-tired Roadie
    It was made as a "real" mountain bike.

Some things have changed since then, but nothing that makes it not trail-worthy.

Get a different rear tire. Having the fork looked at is a good instinct.

Otherwise, visually, it looks great. If it goes, stops and shifts, there's your answer.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx