1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Neebie needs help with new bike

I've been reading the posts for a little while and was hoping you guys can help.

I'm looking to get into biking. Running is getting hard on the knees.
    The last time I rode regularly was over 10 years ago.

I will ride to work 3-4 days per week (9 miles each way) and some trails for fun.
    I am considering a hardtail.

I don't plan on doing any drops other than curbs and small stuff.

I tried a GT aval 3 at the LBS. I liked it, but probably becauase it is the only one I
    tried so far. ($400)

I would like to be in the 300 - 500 range because I'm getting married next year.

I'm 6'1 180lbs.

Thanks

ride hard take risks
    Welcome to MTBR & MTB'ing. A great bike with excelent components would be the Ibex. They are a net company & can bring a exceptional package to the table. If you compair the components of the major line competitors you will notice they offer a better package. The frame quality is as good or better then any of it's competition.

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ALP-550-Details.html

http://www.ibexbikes.com/contact_us.html

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgingcars
    I will ride to work 3-4 days per week (9 miles each way) and some trails for fun.
    I am considering a hardtail.
    Definitely a hard tail, or even rigid (no suspension).
    - how much can you spend?

- find a bike that FITS you (suitable frame and stem length, other bike dimensions).
    - if needed, change the tyres to something that rolls easy on your commute

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I imagine you could probably find yourself a nicely specc'ed out 2nd hand bike at that price point. And people are upgrading/swapping up bikes very often, so there should be a fair few floating around
    If you can find a local forum or sellers in your area, you can also inspect and check out the goods before you do buy which is strongly advisable. I suppose the main thing to look for is that the bike has been well looked after, after all even an old bike that has been cared for will be in better condition than a new bike that has been abused

But happy riding! i'm sure you are bound to have a blast!