1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Neck pains..

mtbr member
    May 2007

Neck pains..

I hadto get out of biking years ago due to knee, hip, elbow, and brain damage.
    Well, now I'm back on the bike and all those problems (save one!) are gone.
    But I have a new problem.
    My neck hurts and just isn't getting any better. I thaught the pain would go away after
    rebuilding the muscles that support my head.
    Any of you go thru this?
    I can only ride every other day because it takes a full day to recover.
    Two advil in the morning and three a couple of hours before a ride....I'd like to take two more before I hit the sack but thats gotta' be getting up there in the overdose area.
    What you think?

Rick

mtbr newbie
    Mar 2007
    Rick-

First off I have a few questions:

1.) do you have a full-suspension or hardtail?

2.) how long are your rides?

3.) do you have a race-oriented set-up or trail set-up (are your bent forwards on your hands with a long top tube or are you more upright)?

Biking does a few things to your neck:

#1) Multiple bumps/vibrations are worse for your cervical spine than a few big bumps because they cause your neck muscles to stiffen/ maintain isometric contractions throughout the ride.

Also your neck extensors may get stronger, but if the pain is actually from the axial skeleton (facet joints, disc, etc.) no amount of muscle strengthening can help that but a cushy ride may.

#3) Lastly, neck position- extension or holding your head "up" while maintaining a bent position will put stress more on the back of the neck (facet joints) than a neutral posture will.

Whats the diagnosis of your neck/ have you had X-rays or MRIs?

If this is all too many questions, or over your head, let me know and I will slow down!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I supose more info would help.
    First, I have not seen my doctor yet. I will soon.
    I'm not thinking muscle issues anymore....damn!
    I ride in a more layed out position. Although I am tinkering with ride postition, I need my seat where it is at (high for greater leg exstention.)
    Hardtail.
    I can't blame trail shock or bumps, it started while still doing flat work.
    When I turn my head slowly I can 'feel' a bit of (I"m looking for the word here....)
    roughness (?)....

Yeah I know...go see the doc.

Thanks

Rick

BTW you sound as though you have been thru this before?

mtbr newbie
    Mar 2007
    Thanks.
    Actually I am a physical therapist so I am used to helping people with ergonomics and pain (particularly spine).

And unfortunately I can't give specific advice without seeing you in person- perhaps an ergonomic assessment may help after your visit with the M.D. (which I highly recommend).

Let me know how it goes with the M.D./radiology, and if finding a good position/posture helps!

Sean

bang
    you could try getting riser bars if you currently have flat bars or otherwise raise the bars or get a higher rise stem. also, if your helmet has a visor, either tilt it up or remove it so you won't have to look up as much.

sounds like your have more serious issues, but a proper bike fit may be in order.