1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Nausea during/after rides?

A little bit about me....
    Im very new to mountain biking. Im not in the worst of shape (always room to improve), im very tall and thin. 6'3" 170lbs. Live in south florida, 900% humidity and typically 90 degree days in the summer.

The scenario...
    The trail that's close to my apartment is about 1.5 mi away, so i ride my bike to it. 2 weeks ago i made the mistake and rode at noon on a friday. Well needless to say i got very nauseous and eventually vomited on my way back to the apartment. I couldn't finish the trail. Went to my LBS, spoke to them about it. They suggested that i try some hammer nutrition products and to see if it helped. The also said that i needed to hydrate while riding, so I invested in a camelpak too. The gave me some single serve packets of HEED and PERPETUEM to try. Well on Sunday morning around 6am i get up and get everything together, followed the directions on the packets, and hit the trail. It seemed that the hammer products helped, as i didn't get sick at all. GREAT!

Fast forward to today, get everything together, head out for a ride at 9am. Same trail, same distance as traveled above. Same products. I got nauseous at mile 6. Pulled over in a shady spot, and took a 20 min or so fitness break. That seemed to help, and i went on my way. By the time i got to mile 10, i was nauseous again but luckily i was .6mi from my apartment.

Questions....
    In the light of things, 10 miles is not a lot of distance. I read about people going much further distances with no issues what so ever! IS there something else i can be doing so that i stop getting sick??

I dont know if its heat related or not, it could be i suppose. I dont feel overly tired when i get back home. I feel i could ride more if i wasnt nauseous.

How often do experienced riders take breaks during rides? I don't have anyone that i ride with so i cant compare.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Exercise-induced nausea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You're probably not used to the heat and will have to fine tune your exercise and hydration for a bit. You should analyse how bad you feel and any other issues to determine whether a doctor visit makes sense.

Redcoat
    Distance in my opinion isnt as important to energy burned as elevation is. i have a trail that is 4 miles long but its a lot more elevation than my normal 12 mile run. i always feel more tired after the shorter run.

Eating the right FOOD not supliments is very important. in your case i would say eating energy food a few hours before would be very helpful. Also if you are going out early, eat well the night before so that energy is ready to go.

I get nausea if i havent eaten properly and bad dizziness but as long as i have hydrated and eaten well when im suppossed to everything goes without incident. Taking some ibuprofen may help also to help circulation but i wouldnt become dependant on it.

Water is your best friend and plenty of it.

mtbr member
    or you're pregnant...............

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I would spend as much time outdoors as possible getting acclimated to the heat/humidity......I live in a hot/dry climate and on the rare humid day here it has a huge detrimental affect.

Hydrating during the ride is great, but if you're overly thirsty during the ride it's already too late. You need to start hydrating about 12 hours in advance.....get the fluids to the cells much farther in advance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Re: Nausea during/after rides?

Get enough sleep the night before your ride.
    What works for me may not work for you. What's best for you depends on many factors. We are different from each other.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    You are probably dehydrated.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Along with being acclimated to the conditions, getting enough rest, eating right, and fitness... your legs have pretty big muscles that put out big bursts. I have noticed that my gym workout days seem to be best on arms and cardio days. On leg, back, and chest days i will get nauseous. Once you condition your body, this feeling will decrease drastically. It just takes the bigger muscles longer to adapt.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I appreciate the input from everyone. I do eat healthy, and i also had plenty of water that day, so i'm ruling out dehydration. Ive been doing a little reading on humidity and exercising. It seems its much easier to have a heat stroke in humid climates. Simply because the air is saturated with moisture and the sweat wont evaporate to cool the body. I usually ride every other day, so im going to see how it goes tomorrow. I will be mindful of food and liquid intake within the next 24hrs.

I'm with stupid
    Might sound dumb, however you cant go like hell (anaerobic) for that long, try dialing back the pace of your ride to where you are just into the starting to breath harder then normal but can still breath threw your nose and not die (aerobic). Also dont eat within a hour to hour and a half before your ride. You might just be pushing too hard for too long and making yourself sick. Also hydrate a ton the DAY/NIGHT BEFORE. If you wake up and dont pee almost clear ( BARLEY any color) you are already behind the power curve. Day of hydration does not work in super hot humid climates. You just end up water logged in your stomach and dehydrated in the rest of your body, which is never any fun cause it leads to the issues you have talked about.

Note* I have zero real training in the subject just many moons of trial and error between biking, running, backpack, military training, and just plain old excise. So if my info is wrong by doctrinal standards then my bad. These are just things that have worked for me and the people I do these said events with.

mtbr member
    This happened to me too a couple days ago. I was about 90 degrees out, and I am a little out of shape at 6'3 225lbs.. but I was definitely going hard for too long and my breathing was getting out of control. I would recommend to go easy, control your breathing, and hydrate.
    Rockhopper 29er

-FSA Carbon handlebars, stem, & seatpost
    -2011 Rockshox Reba
    -Stan's Flow Wheelset
    -Ergon Grips

o°<o NYC pebble jumper!
    Definitely your body is not yet used to the work out. If you've ever done heavy weights and cardio on the same day, you will eventually get the same feeling. It's your body reacting to a new regiment of exercise.
    Take everything slowly, and you should be hydrating yourself consistently, especially if you are going to be out in +90* heat.

mtbr member

Could be this
    When you sweat excessively and drink water eventually your cells will swell with water to make up for salt loss.
    Nausea is definitely a symptom.
    It's called Hyponutremia or water poisoning.
    Need the right kind of hydration not just water.
    I had this last week after riding on very hot day ascent in Squamish BC,
    Drank a ton of water during ride got very nauseous after ride.
    " I only Ride Enduro'

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: Nausea during/after rides?

Weird - Do you get nauseous when you jog or run at moderate pace for the same period of time in the same heat?

Sent from (redacted by nsa)
    ------------------------------------------------
    They're justified and they're ancient and they like to roam the land

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Everyone and every BODY is different. I eat whatever I want the dayy/night before a ride and usually do not eat anything pre ride except a gel or two. Sounds like it to me though, you need to drink more water, I always fill my camelbak up (3 liters) with some ice to make it real cold and I drink it even if I'm not thirsty, last few rides for me have been 95-99 degrees, last year when I first started riding I was riding in 105 degree heat for 8-12 miles, I don't know how because that's ridiculous but I didn't want to do anything that year but ride my bike.
    I would drink more water before and during and after, do you push yourself hard? or is it just a casual semi fast pace?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hydrate the the night before.
    Get some camelbak electrolyte tablets( easiest to clean up afterwards )

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I wouldn't be so quick to rule out dehydration. I've lived a good deal of my life in Florida, including four years in Miami. In retrospect, I bet I was dehydrated to some degree 90% of the time. During activities, even strenuous ones, that you're used to, you don't always notice it. Throw something different into the mix, and it can easily become more of a factor. 10 miles may not be a long distance to some, but I know it was to me when I first started riding. . .and depending on the trail, 10 miles can still be a very strenuous workout for me. Dehydration was my first thought when I read your post, and I still think it's the most likely culprit.

Bring that camel back with you as many have said. You're losing a lot of water very quickly, even if your body is acclimated to that environment. Hopefully that along with just getting used to riding will do the trick.

Oh, and for the person who suggested hyponatremia. . .we're talking about a lot of water to cause that. Nausea is a symptom, but I don't think that's very likely unless he has a pre-existing condition.

mtbr member

I know hypo Yata Yata is a stretch . But if sweat a ton and then drink a lot of water you are still down on all the electrolytes you lost. You then have salt/water imbalance. That's when cels try to rebalance by swelling with water.
    Early symptoms nausea and or muscle cramps.
    Gatorade in hot places is good idea. Or a few margaritas after wood
    " I only Ride Enduro'

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Well i just got back from another 10 mile-er at the same trail. I did make sure to drink a lot of water through out the day today. I ate 4 hours before the ride. This was my first dusk/ night ride and it was significantly cooler, but still humid. I went the full 10 miles without a break and didnt get sick! Now i dont know if it was from forcing the water all day, or if it was cooler, or a combination of both. I think this late in the day riding is the way to go. I had more energy and more power through the ride, and i feel great now

Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Might sound dumb, however you cant go like hell (anaerobic) for that long, try dialing back the pace of your ride to where you are just into the starting to breath harder then normal but can still breath threw your nose and not die (aerobic). Also dont eat within a hour to hour and a half before your ride. You might just be pushing too hard for too long and making yourself sick. Also hydrate a ton the DAY/NIGHT BEFORE. If you wake up and dont pee almost clear ( BARLEY any color) you are already behind the power curve. Day of hydration does not work in super hot humid climates. You just end up water logged in your stomach and dehydrated in the rest of your body, which is never any fun cause it leads to the issues you have talked about.
    Note* I have zero real training in the subject just many moons of trial and error between biking, running, backpack, military training, and just plain old excise. So if my info is wrong by doctrinal standards then my bad. These are just things that have worked for me and the people I do these said events with.
    Thanks for the tips!

Quote Originally Posted by Jams_805 View Post
    This happened to me too a couple days ago. I was about 90 degrees out, and I am a little out of shape at 6'3 225lbs.. but I was definitely going hard for too long and my breathing was getting out of control. I would recommend to go easy, control your breathing, and hydrate.
    WHen i pulled over to take a break a few days ago, i surprisingly was not out of breath. Just sickly and hot.

Quote Originally Posted by ddprocter View Post
    Weird - Do you get nauseous when you jog or run at moderate pace for the same period of time in the same heat?

Sent from (redacted by nsa)
    yes i do

Quote Originally Posted by ricky916 View Post
    Everyone and every BODY is different. I eat whatever I want the dayy/night before a ride and usually do not eat anything pre ride except a gel or two. Sounds like it to me though, you need to drink more water, I always fill my camelbak up (3 liters) with some ice to make it real cold and I drink it even if I'm not thirsty, last few rides for me have been 95-99 degrees, last year when I first started riding I was riding in 105 degree heat for 8-12 miles, I don't know how because that's ridiculous but I didn't want to do anything that year but ride my bike.
    I would drink more water before and during and after, do you push yourself hard? or is it just a casual semi fast pace?
    I wouldnt consider it hard. An average of 8mph according to strava. IDK if thats considered hard or not

Quote Originally Posted by IslandCrow View Post
    I wouldn't be so quick to rule out dehydration. I've lived a good deal of my life in Florida, including four years in Miami. In retrospect, I bet I was dehydrated to some degree 90% of the time. During activities, even strenuous ones, that you're used to, you don't always notice it. Throw something different into the mix, and it can easily become more of a factor. 10 miles may not be a long distance to some, but I know it was to me when I first started riding. . .and depending on the trail, 10 miles can still be a very strenuous workout for me. Dehydration was my first thought when I read your post, and I still think it's the most likely culprit.

Bring that camel back with you as many have said. You're losing a lot of water very quickly, even if your body is acclimated to that environment. Hopefully that along with just getting used to riding will do the trick.

Oh, and for the person who suggested hyponatremia. . .we're talking about a lot of water to cause that. Nausea is a symptom, but I don't think that's very likely unless he has a pre-existing condition.
    I do push the water. I drink when i dont feel i need to during the ride. The camelpak goes with me when ever i go out for a extended ride. Its a 3.0L, and its mostly gone when i get back home

Quote Originally Posted by Reelchef67 View Post
    I know hypo Yata Yata is a stretch . But if sweat a ton and then drink a lot of water you are still down on all the electrolytes you lost. You then have salt/water imbalance. That's when cels try to rebalance by swelling with water.
    Early symptoms nausea and or muscle cramps.
    Gatorade in hot places is good idea. Or a few margaritas after wood
    I luckily have not suffered any cramping as of yet. I heard its bad though. Thanks for the info

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I have much the same problem. I can apply more effort than my body can take. It tells me about it. Wasn't fun on my ride a while back.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You are probably dehydrated.
    Probably this. I've been there many times (dehydrated). Drink a gallon of water a day, every day, for a week and try it again.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I'm relatively new to moubtain biking as well and have been getting sick during/after as well...stomach cramping up and pains, extreme nausea and feeling like I'm going to vomit. It's the worst after I really push myself and has lasted up to an hour and a half. Thanks for all the good advice on this thread. I couldn't seem to figure out why I sometimes feel terrible after biking but things are making a bit more sense.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post

This^

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I got sick and had to take a 40 minute break on my last ride and that was only after a few miles. It was 84 and super high humidity and I think my body just couldn't cool down - my heart was beating out of my chest and I was completely soaked in sweat - there was actually sweat dripping from the hem of my shirt. Can't wait for fall!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    You may want to check with your doctor and I say that because I am not a doctor.

That being said I can’t tell you how many times I have seen someone ralph in the first couple of miles, let alone mile 6. 10 miles is not a short ride for a new rider! …… Especially in the heat of the summer! I live in Mobile, Al and we probably have similar terrain and heat/humidity. You kinda gotta ride into the heat(meaning be in mountain biking shape and as the seasons change let your body become accustomed to the heat as it gets hotter) as starting riding in the peak of southern heat of the summer is very difficult. This sport is demanding in ways that others are not and beginner technique is exhausting, which I suspect is the source of your overexertion.

Try these things below. I really do believe they will help you.
    1. Try and ride at a pace you don't have to use the brakes. Breaking and going through a turn to have to speed back up is exhausting…..nearly like wind sprints. Be smooth. Brakes aren’t smooth.
    2. I would also ask what cadence you are pedaling at. Spin to win is not for new riders. Try gearing up and slowing down your pedaling cadence a little. A cadence that is too fast, even though it is easy to pedal, will turn your legs to rubber and induce bubble guts…….not to mention it makes the bike unstable. Don’t go too high either. You don’t want to grind too much. I dont want to quote cadence numbers to you but try droping down a ring or two in the back.
    3. If you don’t have a cyclometer, buy one. They are cheap. You will then see, the techniques above will make you faster.

Again 10 miles in the dirt, is NOT a short ride for a beginner. Add in 94+ degree weather with full humidity and it is probably becoming somewhat dangerous.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast