1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: naive question

shred
    Feb 2008

naive question

you know the videos of people bunyhopping over recycling bins and stuff and then theres the people that hop over news papers and smaller stuff. is that the difference between clipless and flat pedals. because i feel like il limeted to about a foor of clearance or les with flat pedals

shred
    Feb 2008
    i meant, im limeted to a foot of clearance or less.

Rub it............
    With the clipless pedals, since you are attached to the pedals, you can use your legs to help pull the bike into the air.

mtbr member
    You're limited by your skills not by having flat pedals. High bunny hops are about technique, less about equipment.
    Bikes=Sanity

ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007
    yea bunny hops are about technique but if you have clipless pedals you can make up for a lack of skill by full up directly instead of having to point your toes down and push back. Also there is a big difference in the gripiness of cheep flats vs. good flats.
    I lubed my disc brakes because they squeaked.
    Man was that fun to work out

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    They had a bunny hop contest at a race I went to this spring. It was won by a considerable margin by a guy with flat pedals. No one got within two feet of him, he was clearing a stick at three feet over and over like it was nothing.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Trials riders use flats. Just look at what those folks can do!

shred
    Feb 2008
    what im asking is, is it possible to hop over a trashcan with flat pedals?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTN MAN
    what im asking is, is it possible to hop over a trashcan with flat pedals?
    i ride mainly DJ and Urban, and have flat pedals. i can hop onto picnic tables with no problem, so yes, i can definately hop over a trashcan.

Bikecurious
    Aug 2007
    and don't forget the freestyle BMX guys. Thats all on flats, with bikes that prob weigh close to 40 lbs (at least mine felt like it did).

shred
    Feb 2008
    thanks u answered my question. ive never run clipless i olny run flats so i guess i just have to work at it

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    like someone mentioned earlier ... you have to have your feet pushing back just a bit on the pedals .. instead of flat on them ...

plus having pedals with a better bite .. and some flat bottomed shoes .. helps a lot ..

Praise Bob

All about technique

I run clipless while trail riding, but switch to flats while practicing J-hops, manuals, nose wheelies, track stands etc etc. Like the other poster stated, you dont want to pull up on the pedals to get a really high J-hop. You start by lifting the front tire like you are going to manual (this sets the height of your "hop"). Then you tip your toes down and slightly kick back while pushing forward and down on the handlebars. Your bike will pivot around your cranks and the rear will lift level with the front.

Not only will clipless give you bad form during practice, your chances of getting stuck clipped in are much higher. With that said, clipless are invaluable out on the trail. They will help improve your pedal stroke and keep you mounted over chattery terrain.

shred
    Feb 2008
    thats definatly a great description of a real bunny hop. i will put that to work. can the size of the bike matter by how easily you can get the rear high in the air because my bike (trek remedy 66) is a size too larger for me. and one more thing, is it possible to do a pedal hop on a fs bike?

don't move for trees
    bunny hoping with cleats is kind of like cheating and will not really help. Where it does excel is generating power and being able to easily unweight the rear tire through rock gardens and other nasty places.

Watch BMX riders, then do crazy stuff, all on flats, no clips.
    "Get a bicycle.You will not regret it if you live." Mark Twain