1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: n00bs new bike

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

n00bs new bike

So there is my bike, I got a good deal on it and I was looking for something to do besides running and going to the gym. I do live in Southern California and I have discovered some great spots all within riding distance.

After a few rides i'm looking to make some changes and looking for advice.

I want to get rid of the grip shifters and move to Shimano quick shifter types. Should I upgrade all the shifter components (derailers, cables, chain) as well? Are sprocket upgrades necessary as well?

Lastly I'm looking for a good platform pedal...These circa 1995 bear claws I throw on there are not cutting it...any advice would be appreciated.

If anyone is selling stuff that would work for me let me know, or if you can get me bike parts for cheap in trade for car parts for cheap (aftermarket suspension...lowered cars) let me know.

-Joey

mtbr member
    Nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by shredder111
    Can I paint your rockring, silly bun salad?

mtbr member
    I'd start out with a nice cleaning. That drivetrain looks filthy.

...the wave won't brek
    Nice Pick up.

I have an '03 Rock Hopper FSR (same Geometry as your SJ).

It is a long way better then stock.

Clean the bike up real well.

If it were me I would get a new cassette and chain right off the bat

I am riding a SRAM X9 Drive train on my bike and love it.

Enjoy the bike.

As for pedals just bite the bullet and get some shoes and go clipless...you won't regret it
    2008 Santa Cruz Superlight SPX-XC Kit

2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR-XC Comp

2006 Specialized Allez Sport Double

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Those were the pictures the seller sent me (couldn't complain for the price) and it has since been cleaned up. For the year (I think it's 1999) it's in great shape. I had the chain measured and my friend said it's still in spec. I think I have a chance to try out some clipless pedals this weekend so we'll see how that goes.

Next up is just getting the new shifters and cables for now, then i'll find out how much longer the rest of the drivetrain will hold up.

...the wave won't brek
    Have fun, and don't worry when you fall over with the clipless pedals it happens to all of us!

Consider it a right of passage.

L8r,

A
    2008 Santa Cruz Superlight SPX-XC Kit

2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR-XC Comp

2006 Specialized Allez Sport Double

pronounced may-duh
    If it's a nine speed rear cassette than you can probably just swap the grip shifters for Shimano triggers. 9 speed is the current norm. The older 8 speed stuff is much harder to find. Deore or Deore LX shifters will work very well without breaking the bank. Usually new shifters come with new cables. You may want to replace the cable housing. Get high quality cable housing that was designed for Shimano SIS systems. The housing can make a big difference.