1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

n00b returning to the saddle

Kinda long post, but I'm stoked so bear with me...

After lurking here for a few weeks I decided to pull the lever today and 'stimulate the economy' with a new Paddy Wagon. I haven't really rode regularly in 6 years back when I had an MTB of some unk variety and the man child was still in diapers, but some mid life metrics are telling me I need to suck it up and get back into shape or at least some approximation thereof or pay some real consequences. I've been pretty lucky so far in that regard, but time is not your friend when you're over forty.

I've not ridden a true SS before other than the current Felt cruiser and banana seat crates from my youth and this will be a new experience that I'm sure I don't know what I'm in for, but who cares? SS intrigued me, and I may be in over my head to some degree, but I'm not expecting miracles anytime soon. I could also use the simplicity at this point in my life. It's a nice bike and I hope a good re-entry to the art of riding.

I probably could of saved some dough and found a suitable used bike to do this with, but what I felt about going and buying the bike new was 2 fold: New bike warranty and such but more so, I'm forcing myself to do this, which I want and need to do. There's just too damn many bikes and permutations thereof to consider in my situation, so narrow down some ideas, get some reasonable opinions and just go with it. One could spend far too much time deciding on a bike when he or she could be out riding one. Right? One day serendipity will drop a real cool bike in my lap for next to nothing (oh wait that was the old mtb...).

Maybe it's a fad, maybe it's not, maybe no one should care...I'm in for a surprise and a few runs around the neighborhood showed me just that. I plan on having some fun, and if the muscle gods smile upon me I would like to try commuting a few days a week.

As far as my body is concerned, my leg muscles have some tone to them but not where it counts and my stamina is lacking as is my lung capacity. Fortunately I'm light and reasonably healthy even given my lack of exercise, so So Cal hills be damned (I thought I'd choke earlier today on one...)!

I've a long row to hoe to get to a point where I will feel confident in commuting 14 miles one way to work. I'll ride some of the same roads as I did riding to HS on my bro's Peugeot 10spd, so it'll be a challenge, but I think I need it!

So wish me luck and here's to 2 wheels and leg power

weirdo
    If there was aquestion in there, I think I missed it. Sounds like you have a plan anyway, good luck with it and happy pedaling. If you run into specific problems, remember there are also commuting, SS, and Kona forums. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    If there was aquestion in there, I think I missed it. Sounds like you have a plan anyway, good luck with it and happy pedaling. If you run into specific problems, remember there are also commuting, SS, and Kona forums. Have fun!
    Yeah pardon the verbosity lol... no questions as yet except what does anybody about cold ears in the mornings? I totally forgot about that from mtb days, damn it hurts but maybe it's just me...

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by popeyecahn
    Yeah pardon the verbosity lol... no questions as yet except what does anybody about cold ears in the mornings? I totally forgot about that from mtb days, damn it hurts but maybe it's just me...
    Watch cap. Balclava. Ear band (haven`t tried this one, but I probably will next year). Depends on how cold it is and what gear I find that hasn`t escaped to some parallel universe since the last time I used it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Ah yes, balclava...

As for the pic, now that's commitment to a sport!

local trails rider
    I did a few trail rides, during the winter, at temperatures a bit below the freezing point. I had to take the thin wool cap off after 15 minutes to stop my head from cooking... (slow trails). A bandana should help with the ears (and sweat running into the eyes).

Keep it fun. Find the stuff you enjoy most.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks.

Right now I'm heading out the door to So Ga and no bike to speak of. I'll miss the little buggers...