1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: n00b

mtbr member

n00b

Hey, I am looking to get into MTB'ing. I havent touched a bike since I was around 16. I'm still young enough at 23 to get into the sport. I got out of the Marine Corps and have put on some weight because I just dont feel like running (I'm 6'1" and about 245#). I think that this will help me get in shape again and be alot of fun to do. The bike I am currently looking at is a Rocky Mountain Flow FS. Would this be a good bike to get started on?

I post too much.
    Full suspension bikes are heavier and tend to make a newer rider sloppier because they correct some of your noob mistakes. I would honestly look into a hardtail as a first bike.

mtbr member
    If you are feeling the bike and think it will get you on the trail, go for it. But if you can rent different bikes from the shop and get a feel, you might find you are happier with a front suspension or something different!
    See you on the trail!
    Cog Wild Mountain Bike Tours
    Sponsored by Deschutes Brewery!!

Staying out of the way
    In my case I had a hardtail for about 2 months, found a squishy I liked and ended up selling the HT because I just couldn't see myself getting back on it. Luckily I got a screaming deal on the HT and was able to get my $ out of it.

I know Strohs and know he did some BMX back in the day and is leaning toward getting in to the all-mountain/freeride stuff rather than just singletrack. It's sort of the same deal I was in not very long ago. Performance has 1 of the '05 Rocky Mountain Flow FS's left in his size for $729 (plus the 10% store credit back). For that price, I can't see him going wrong with the RM. I bought the same bike in an 18" frame and love it.

The Frame on the Flow FS is pretty much the same as the Slayer, the suspension isn't radical and it behaves surprisingly well on the singletrack I do ride. Overall I couldn't be happier with the bike and it's a vast improvement over the Motobecane 700HT with a Reba SL that I had. True the HT was a little faster and lighter, but I'm not racing, I'm enjoying the great outdoors. The terrain here tends to get really bumpy, really fast, especially with the crowd he will probably be riding with from work.

One of the guys at work said "Friends don't let fat friends ride hardtails" when I was looking. (It's a joke guys, I know the FS vs. HT debate is a hot one )

We have discussed the HT thing, but the deal on the RM is pretty darn sweet. If it doesn't work out, an HT might still be worth looking at.