Sofa King We Todd Did

My very first endo

Well, I'm glad I got that over and done with. Was wondering how long it'd take. I just wish it'd have been a bit more of a dignified endo, if there ever was one. Maybe something like me bombing down a hill at 40mph or something. Or me clearing a massive log or something.

But no.

Instead, I endo while running an errand. After work, I decided to run over to the bank and deposit a check I had sitting around for weeks on end. Rode my bike over to the bank, got to the bank, tried to skip up onto the sidewalk, suffered a massive brainfart, next thing I know I'm tumbling over the handlebars, spilling onto the sidewalk with my bike on top of me. Smooth...

Thankfully, no serious harm. My left wrist is a tad sore, as is my left ankle, and that's about it. Could've been worse, but I'll take the fact that my ego was bruised much further than my body.

What an ass.

The Weatherman
    Glad to hear you got it out of the way.. heh

Don't worry though. It won't be the last time you make an ass out of yourself.

My ass moment came while I was riding some tricky singletrack in Seoul, South Korea.

I was in the middle of a pretty steep, rooted and rocky climb and just about to crest the summit. I look ahead and see two very cute college-aged korean girls watching my ascent with wide grins and looks of awe on their face. They started rooting me on as I was about 10 feet from reaching the top. I make it to the top, and what do i do?

I go to unclip out of my pedals to pull off to the side of the trail to allow them to pass, and I can't get unclipped. I biff hard on my right side and begin to roll down the hill with my bike attached to my feet.

Talk about a Joe Cool moment.

Pawn

Old man on a bike

It won't be the last if you keep with the sport...

and eventually you won't think it unusual either...it just comes with the territory. I've had my worst injuries screwing around on the street on my bike than I've ever done on the trail...go figure.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Comedy of errors

I had my first mayor crashes recently, first I was coming down a slippery cobblestone path and my bike just went out from under me and I landed with my full, and not so inconsequential, bodyweight on my left hip. My feet stayed in their clips so I had no way to shield myself from the impact at all. I brushed myself off, got most of the blood of my leg and decided to keep going. Later on in the ride I was practicing bunny hops and short turn on a gravel path and when I stopped to have a drink I lost balance and landed on the other hip. At this point I decided to go home. I felt ok after a hot bath but the next day I could not walk as both my hips were really, really sore. Four days of agony later I was feeling fit enough to go out again. First trail I do, I need to bunny hop over a concrete water pipe about 30 cm high, I got over ok but then lost the trail and drove my front wheel into a shallow but very steep ditch. The endo probably looked great but hurt like hell, my right knee and right elbow are now skinless. I went out yesterday and bought some seriously padded shorts and the best knee and elbow pads I could find. I may look goofy but I feel no pain. ;-)

mtbr member
    My first endo was about 6 months after I started mtb'ing, around 3 years ago. I had a Gary Fisher Joshua which had the rear spring real compressed to eliminate the bobbing. I was a true stable-plaltform pioneer.
    As I'm flying thru some singletrack I mis-time a big root in the trail, my front cleared but my rear hit it with full steam and I was still seated. When the shock rebounds, with that ultra-compressed spring, it shoots me over the bars and I land on my face. My buddy got to see me as I launched and hit the ground. When I got up he thought I lost a few teeth. It turns out that I smiled and had a dirt on my teeth.

Lou.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

Barneys Unite!

Did the same sort of thing . . .

about a month and a half ago. Went to pull up onto a curb, pulled too soon, and the front wheel came down right on the curb's edge. I was going fast enough that I endo'd and kinda landed on my right shoulder. My ribs hurt so bad a couple of days later that I had some x-rays done. No new fracture, but evidence of an old fracture, which would explain why it still hurts a little.

Luckily -- no witnesses!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I've had my new hardtail about a month now and pulled off my first endo on it a few weeks ago on a particularly rocky downhill section on a local trail. I wasn't going fast by my shock wasn't set stiff enough and basically pogoed me right off of the bike after I hit one of the rocks with my fron wheel. It was over in a matter of milliseconds, but the amazing thing was, I didn't really go headfirst, I actually landed on my feet and had to keep running to maintain my balance. It's definitely one I wish other people had the privelage of seeing. Too bad I dented my frame, but it's steel so it won't break in half if I do the same thing again. It's nice to stop worrying about your brand new paint job too. I think companies need to quit working on drivetrains and get us some trail cameras we can afford. This stuff is pure gold!

mtbr member
    I saw almost exactly the same thing happen to a guy a few days ago. He was riding along looking all cool. Decides he wants to hop up onto a curb. Was all distracted be a cute honey rollerblading and BANG over the bars he goes. She managed to hop over him and skate away though. Do not think she left her number......

The Ultimate Niche
    I did very much the same thing about a year ago...it's funny how on the trail I rarely endo, I crash a lot, but rarely endo. But I tend to endo when I commute. I thinks the faster speeds and the fact that I kinda let my guard down...I mean I'm on the road for chir#^ sake.

Yeah I did it on a sidewalk right next to the beach in front of some Hotties sun-bathing. Totally endo'd and garage saled my schitt all over the place. If I did it in front of my friends it would have been cool and they would have respected the artist creative impluses that cause one to endo. The Hotttie beotch in the two-peice looked at my like I was a total retard. Her rack was well worth the endo though!

mtbr member

Endo at the bank

When you endo'd at the bank, did your check bounce?

bounce? check? endo? Ha! oh, I need to get off the computer and go ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    hahaha...Last time I fell, in front of anyone, was last winter on an extremely rainy day. I reached the summit on a local trail, and at the top there were three fellow bikers having a quick break before the descent. I left with them. About a half mile from the end of the ride, just after a semi-techy swicthback that I didn't come out very clean I lost momentum and tumbled down the steep. One of the riders saw it, and asked if I was okay, I crawled out looking like swampman. But now I clean that part with ease, so crashes are good, I guess.

mtbr member

last time i did an endo

was a few weeks ago. It was on a familiar singletrack (downhill) - quite steep with lots of "loose" rocks (there are so many rocks that the bike really "floats" on the rocks- i mean there is also lateral motion). I fell while passing a small rise, and i hit my left elbow and on the left of my chest. I was going very slowly and i "was really an ass" because i had gone there numerous times (more than 3 years!)

U V
    aka: UltraViolet
    while slowly going across a very steep hill my pedal gets stuck and very slowly i just loose my balance, falling left would of been ok if there was enything there, so, i just roll down the hill into a bush

mtbr member
    Last endo for me was in a race I did at michaux state park. I was in front of a few guys battling them off the last few miles. It rained like hell at the beginning of the race and it was still pounding us. Through this certain section there was lots of puddles and standing water. I pretty much went straight through them as they all looked shallow enough and I didn't wanna lose any time to the competition. So I'm pushing middle ring and a tall gear and here comes a small downhill which levels off into a huge pool. I thought, well the others were shallow enough, straight through at full speed captain!! The front tires dives in, i got back in the saddle and next thing i hear is a huge sucking noise as the front tire sinks and stops! I superman over the bars and my damn feet are still clipped in. I crash into this pool of a foot or more deep of mud, I'm just covered in mud head to toe and still stuck in the damn bike. I couldn't help but laugh because it was all done and over in 2 seconds. That was the muddiest I've ever been on my bike!

mtbr member
    I'm a newbie, only riding about 5 months now and these happened about 2 and 3 months in. At the time I wasn't riding clipless yet, so at least my bike didn't stay attached to me.

My first endo was how I learned to ignore sticker bushes. I reacted with my right arm to unhook the bush and apparently squeezed my front brake lever.... BAM right onto the front of my helmet. First thought was "Glad I'm wearing the helmet", second thought, "where are my glasses". I brushed myself off and got back on the bike, but with a major headache. I now ignore the tearing flesh of the stickers.

The second and third endo were on the same day. First, I got the front wheel over a log but it turned and stopped. I flew over the bike onto my chest, knocking the wind out of me for a while. Soon after, as I attempted to jump another log, I didn't raise my wheel in time and the bike stopped dead, throwing me onto the log and landing on my chin. I couldn't feel my mouth and was sure I'd broken my teeth. Luckily I'd only bit the entire right half of my tongue and the left half of my inner cheek and lip. I spit blood for an hour. Eating was difficult for only a couple of days but I did have a nice bruise and knot on my chin for a couple of weeks. Afterward I walked over every twig I came across. I was so pissed off at myself because I was scared to even attempt jumping a log again. That was the only day I ever felt I'd had enough and took the road back while my friend finished the trail.

I still get spooked at times and walk when I'm not sure, but I've gotten much better at getting over the obstacles while staying on the bike!!

I LOVE THIS SPORT!!!!!!!!
    Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm...

mtbr member
    May 2004

The last time I endoed...

I was on a downhill gravel (big gravel) trail going maybe 30 mph and trying to slow down. I hit a big loose rock and flipped and slid down the trail with my bike 20 feet and got scraped all over the left side of my body.

You arent a true mountain biker until youve endoed.

mtbr member
    But you know, that's what keeps me coming back every ride. The fact that knowing I'm pushing my limits every time I climb on my sled. Knowing that at any given time I can be endoing or crashing. Just something about that adrenaline rush that cannot be denied, which makes me come back again and again. After every cut, scrapes, bruise, busted arms and legs, you name it. God I love my bike!! My wife and family think I'm crazy, they cannot truly understand as we do till they swing their leg overtop a mountain bike and truly see what fun it is.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SueB
    BAM right onto the front of my helmet. First thought was "Glad I'm wearing the helmet", second thought, "where are my glasses". I brushed myself off and got back on the bike, but with a major headache.

onto my chest, knocking the wind out of me for a while.

landing on my chin. I couldn't feel my mouth and was sure I'd broken my teeth. Luckily I'd only bit the entire right half of my tongue and the left half of my inner cheek and lip. I spit blood for an hour.
    Hi Sue:

it seems like you are hitting your head an awful lot when you go down. Hitting your head happens, but you can work on avoiding it. I don't know if you ski (or snowboard), but if you do, you can practice "crashing" - being thrown in air happens in both sports, and getting a "muscle memory" for tumbling upon impact is a good thing to do - I've even practiced, for skiing, on a trampoline. Mostly it is the getting your arms out ahead of you, enough to initiate a roll, but not so stiff as to catch and rip your arms or elbows or wrists apart. It really just takes practice, and really, as all good sport coaches will tell you, is just muscle memory. Your muscles do the thinking for you.

I know you can't avoid every impact... just a thought.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdogsmith2003
    Hi Sue:

it seems like you are hitting your head an awful lot when you go down. Hitting your head happens, but you can work on avoiding it. I don't know if you ski (or snowboard), but if you do, you can practice "crashing" - being thrown in air happens in both sports, and getting a "muscle memory" for tumbling upon impact is a good thing to do - I've even practiced, for skiing, on a trampoline. Mostly it is the getting your arms out ahead of you, enough to initiate a roll, but not so stiff as to catch and rip your arms or elbows or wrists apart. It really just takes practice, and really, as all good sport coaches will tell you, is just muscle memory. Your muscles do the thinking for you.

I know you can't avoid every impact... just a thought.
    I've never skied or snowboarded, hope to try skiing this winter. I do however fall just when hiking... It's kind of a joke with me now. I'm much better at fallng now Im usually much better at getting myself protected but those just snuck up on me! It sure is a good lesson to my daughter to ALWAYS wear a helmet!! You just never know....
    Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    my friend bet me $10 i wouldnt bike into a low concrete wall abouut 2 feet high. I did, and all i have to say is im no longer a betting man.

I live to bike

My first endo was a few years back

I was on flat grass, about to go down a short steep hill when I noticed the ditch at the bottom that freaked me out. Hit the brakes too hard, over I went!

My most recent endo was this afternoon, going down a steep, rocky section. Too slow, too much brake.

When riding with friends, I like to give play-by-play of my crashes while I'm going down. So When I endo'ed on Sunday, I yelled out "Endooooo!!" as my front wheel dropped over a root with a 1-11/2 foot drop on the other side while my rear wheel got caught on the root. Too slow, weight too far forward.

Welcome to mountain biking! It would be hard to consider yourself a true mountain biker without crash stories to share with your mtb friends!

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Pawndream
    I go to unclip out of my pedals to pull off to the side of the trail to allow them to pass, and I can't get unclipped. I biff hard on my right side and begin to roll down the hill with my bike attached to my feet.
    What pedals do you recommend to avoid?

Chatham NJ
    May 2004
    I guess I'm lucky, Ive never had any really hardcore crashes, just feet slipping of pedals and shindeath.

Ive went over the bars, but only when im trying to nose wheelie or some slow trick. I guess I just jinxed myself

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Last time I endod I was er practising stoppies going down a steep hill, my friend has just done exactly the same thing a few weeks ago, but monkey see, monkey do, anyway my riding buddy said I was getting a fair bit of air, but it didn't feel like much so I kept getting more, I'm sure you all get the picture ...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    When i first started Mtn Biking in 97 i had a Haro hardtail with a judy fork, v brakes etc...
    My friends and i just heard of Plattekill and we wanted to check it out.
    So of we go. We headed down one of the trails just off to the left of the lift. smart dont ya think :P

In the middle of that trail was a 9 ft drop 70 degree angle, feeling like superman i decided to go first and ride down, i didnt realize at the bottom was a sort of run off. so i get to the bottom front wheel hit the runoff gets caught on it, i go flying over the bars the bike whips up and the seat smacks me on the back of my head. A small concussion later makes me decide i need a better bike for DH :P