Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

My Ugly Blue Bike - Wheel Rim Stickers & Advice on Changes

7K views 27 replies 23 participants last post by  GelatiCruiser 
#1 ·
I picked up a barely used 2011 Specialized Hardrock Disc 29er last week. It's the ugly blue one. I bought it pretty much because it was dirt cheap (under 3 bills) and I want to get some seat time in on a 29er. I also figured I could use it as a platform to slowly make some changes to it over time.

Anyway.....it's not so much that the actual blue color is ugly...there's just so darn much of it and I would like to tone it down some. To me...the worst part of it is the blue wheels. I thought about changing out the wheelset for something else, but since these are fine I don't think it makes sense to just toss them because of that. They are perfectly good wheels for my use of the bike. I also figure that a new 29er wheelset would probably cost at least in the ballpark of what I paid for the bike, which seems kind of like a waste of money just because I'm not a fan of the color.

I was wondering if there is anywhere I could purchase some rim stickers to go around the outside of the wheels. I thought this might cut down on the overall "blueness". I just don't know if there is anywhere I can buy rim stickers. Can anyone please advise?

Thanks for any guidance which you can provide. I'm also open to any suggestions for small upgrades to make it look prettier. I'm definitely getting rid of the blue grips and stem when I come across something reasonable...so if you have any suggestions for replacements on those or other parts, let 'em rip!

Here's a pic of the blue meanie:

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks gang. My actual bike does already have grips which are not fully blue.....only the inner and outer "caps" are. I will be changing them shortly though.

I ordered a new seat and put on an old Specialized chainstay protector. Boom......less blue already evident!!!

One step at a time...one step at a time. ;)

#10 ·
LOL. That's the same bike I bought my son and the next day his friend's mother ran over the bike accidentally. Specialized gave us a discount on his next bike. Yeah, it's really, really, blue but it's cool and it's not girly blue. If you can't stand the color save up and get it redone in another color.

#14 ·
Oh yer thats one ugly baby blue bike..

Start off spraying the stem black or buying a new one, thats a game changer.
Strip the wheels with oven cleaner or paint them black
paint your fork black...

Or just paint the whole thing black, actually the bikes ok blue, bust spray or change every other component on it thats blue, **** even the rails on the saddle are blue lol.
show us the finished product too, cheers

#15 ·
I'd start by spraying the frame matte black, and black out some other stuff as well. If your gonna keep that fork, I'd see what it locked like black with blue fork n wheels n some other small bits? Definatly replace or paint that stem... Might be a good time to get a shorter stem/wider bar(in black).?

#16 ·
I like the colour but yes, there's alot of it. As has been said already change a few bits like the stem and the grips and possibly even the forks but I wouldn't bother stripping and spraying it, too much hassle and it's very difficult to get a finish that's as good as the original.

#19 ·
Well, I see I am piling on to an old thread, but I'm clearly not the first.

IMO - upgrade fork and go with something black. Don't buy the fork for its color, just sayin' - black, not white. Stem - black. Grips - black. Seat - black if its not already.

As for the wheels, I personally might embrace them in blue. There are some Panaracer tires that are black with a blue side wall. I think it might look even cooler and make it look like big thick wheels with low profile knobby tires.

Hey its your bike so I figure I can recommend whatever I feel like...you don't actually have to do it.

#23 ·
Awww -- come on! I love it...haha the more gawdy the better.

I've got a old dark red bike that I ride with black and yellow shoes and some early 90's blue and purple bike pants...I toss on whatever shirt I might find and go for it.

But seriously -- I love the blue haha.

#24 ·
You can get felt bars and 6061 felt stem for like $35 for both. And all the rest you can upgrade after
you wear it out with other colors you want and powder coat the frame. The felt stuff is on sale at BlueSky. I also got a Easton EA90 stem and EA70 Monkey bars there that would be nice on a 29'r.

#25 ·
Looking at the pic some more...the frame has a nice scheme really. Just black wheels and the bars/stem/grips/forks black or white and it will look sweet with the frame. And like Mullen said, you will want better forks anyway... and most Rockshox and others come in white or black too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.