1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2014

Was my trek 3500 worth it?

Hello, I just got a 2013 trek 3500 for 400$. I'm enjoying my ride so far, but i was wondering was the money i spent worth it? I also got a 50$ gift card for free, to be used for bontrager accessories so I was quite happy about that. I was just wondering did I get a bang for my buck?

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    You're asking now? You should have made sure, beforehand. If the bike is making you ride/exercise more....it's well worth the $400. That's LESS than a one year gym membership.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    You're asking now? You should have made sure, beforehand. If the bike is making you ride/exercise more....it's well worth the $400. That's LESS than a one year gym membership.
    Alright, thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Well, the '14 lists for $440, so you saved about $90 counting the gift card. Not bad I'd say

Enjoy!

That's LESS than a one year gym membership.
    More fun too!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Thanks! Appreciate it. And yes it allot more fun then the gym

Fat-tired Roadie
    Little late to ask. But let me put it this way.

Back in 2007, on a semi-whim, I bought a Specialized Hardrock. I'd really enjoyed mountain biking in college and then various other things got in the way.

Objectively, the Hardrock's not that good a bike. The fork seized pretty quickly right out of the gate and when I moved to the Pacific Northwest about a year and a half later (shipping it was dumb too, btw,) I started wearing things out right and left. Still have the stock seatpost, though. At least the frame is shaped right for an athletic rider.

But that's missing the point, which is that I needed to have a mountain bike for that passion to be reignited. Cycling in one way or another has been the biggest thing I do for myself for most of the last 16 years. And, I really prefer mountain biking if it's feasible.

So I regret not taking my time to look around for a used bike a little bit. But the bigger picture is that buying that thing was necessary for me to get back into something that gives me great joy.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    look at it this way if you enjoy riding ride the 3500 til you can spring for a new bike then upgrade and keep the 3500 as a spare or a neighborhood bike.

If you decide mtn biking aint for you then its only a 400 dollar loss and you still have a bike you can ride around neighborhood,beach,etc.

Seen a few spend big bucks on a nice bike only to ride it a few times at best only to sit or sold for a bigger loss than 400 bucks.

A Mountainside=My Therapy
    When you get tired of that bike turn it into a project bike. That's what I did, and I learned so much about components, compatibility, etc. because of that. There is no such thing as a bad mountain bike unless it can't keep up with your style and skill level.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Another option is to take the $50 gift card and buy the Trek Care Plus coverage for it. Anything you wear out(except tires and brake pads) or break in the next three years will be replaced including labor. 90 days to decide.

mtbr member
    Nobody can answer that question for you but you. Do you think it was worth it?
    "The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
    -Douglas Adams