1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Cool-blue Rhythm My tire is flat...and i'm not smart

Hey guys...I just bought a new mountain bike, my first one in 8-10 years. It has a different kind of valve stem on it than all other bikes I've seen (the cheap bikes i've seen). Ok so my tire is flat and i deflated all the air, but i can't get the tire off the rim. The valve stem has a stopper or something to keep it from pulling through the rim like the old valves that i'm used to seeing. I've tried to unscrew this stopper but it seems to be going nowhere. If someone could give me some advice on how to change a flat...of give a link to get me in the right direction i'd appreciate it.

mtbr member
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=100 maybe this will help you.

sounds like you have presta valve tubes, schraeder valve tubes have a valve that looks just like the valves on car tires. have you taken the wheel off you bike yet?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    You probably have presta valves instead of the 'old style' schraeder valve. The piece you are trying to screw off is exactly what you need to do. If it is tight, then it was probably over-tightened when it was installed. Maybe try to use some plyers to help loosen it up. After that, you change the tire just like you would before. You can buy a schraeder adapter at your LBS for ~$1 so you can use nearly any pump. One trick I always do is to put some baby powder inside the tire to prevent the tube and tire from sticking together. Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    yeah, i do have the presta valves....and yeah i took the tire off the bike. I'll go try and unscrew it with some pliers or something. Thanks guys.