1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Is my steerer tube/stem 1 inch or 1-1/8 inch?

Current Cannondale M200 se MTB manual lost from Hurricane Sandy. Bought in 1998. Is my steerer tube/stem 1 inch or 1-1/8 inch? How do I measure it? Someone said the quill stems they've seen have all been 1 inch. I am looking to only change to a threadless stem via buying a Threaded to Threadless Quill Stem Adapter. I will have to change to a 31.8mm bar too. Thank you

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is my steerer tube/stem 1 inch or 1-1/8 inch?-img_0392-forums-minus-name.jpg  

Is my steerer tube/stem 1 inch or 1-1/8 inch?-img_0396-forums-minus-name.jpg  

Is my steerer tube/stem 1 inch or 1-1/8 inch?-img_0399-forums-minus-name.jpg  

Last edited by TheeSuperUberV; 06-10-2013 at 05:04 PM. Reason: pics

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    tied a string around the stem where it comes out of the headset... cut the string where it fully surrounds the stem... placed string on table & touched both ends of string to form a circle... placed measuring tape down the middle of circle = 1 inch

i'm assuming that home made technique is correct... now off to buy the adapter... probably this one > Origin8 1" Threaded to 1-1/8" Threadless Quill Stem Adapter - Silver
    Amazon.com: Origin8 1" Threaded to 1-1/8" Threadless Quill Stem Adapter - Silver: Sports & Outdoors

Rogue Exterminator
    It appears to be a 1"
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    It appears to be a 1"
    ty kjlued

mtbr member
    Could check BikePedia to confirm
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Is a ONE high..

I do have a question, what are you doing with XTR M900 brakes on such a low end M200, if they rest of the components are that great, just sell the bike/parts and get something more current and to you liking..

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by patineto View Post
    Is a ONE high..

I do have a question, what are you doing with XTR M900 brakes on such a low end M200, if they rest of the components are that great, just sell the bike/parts and get something more current and to you liking..
    Good question. I'm not hardcore. That's why i bought this M200 years ago. Don't ride much but still like the new style threadless stem look. Bought the XTR's from a friend at a good price. Was nice upgrade. Without much money, you will find people with high end parts that don't match other low end parts... like me I just might do as you suggested & buy a new bike. Just checked prices & it's kinda doable. I would have to sell this one first as my room is small.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannondale M200se View Post
    Good question. I'm not hardcore. That's why i bought this M200 years ago. Don't ride much but still like the new style threadless stem look. Bought the XTR's from a friend at a good price. Was nice upgrade. Without much money, you will find people with high end parts that don't match other low end parts... like me I just might do as you suggested & buy a new bike. Just checked prices & it's kinda doable. I would have to sell this one first as my room is small.
    Do you have any more good parts on the bike...?

the high end old school stuff goes for pretty good money, maybe if your whole bike is high end you more than have money for a newer bike..

Actually if you are not to hardcore I will keep the bike as is and don't worry about upgrades that will not bring much of a noticeable improvement at the end..

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    i believe the XTR's are the best part on the bike (brake shoes excellent condition), but it's also got Sun rims (not the thin-style rims) & IRC Piranhapro tires (very good condition). WOW i see eBay has used XTR M900 brakes selling for about $250! Hmm, maybe i could chop it up & get some good money for a new bike like you mentioned. I only wanted to have the new-style threadless stem even though i'd still really have quill. And maybe new thin-style rims. Thanx for informing me about the old school parts thing

Rogue Exterminator
    I don't know if chopping it up will yield you that much more money but even if it it did, it could take you a year or more to sell everything.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    yea the XTR brakes will yield the most $$... but i just figured out it'd be cheaper to upgrade a few more specific parts than buying a new bike. Gonna keep the XTR's; i forgot how much i love this frame/fork

mtbr member
    Yeah, with narrow flatbars, that headtube angle and rigid frame it's an awesome fun ride.
    The xtr are the probably the best canti brakes ever, and definitely have vintage bling if you're into that, but imo even less than xtr linear are way better for stopping and easier to adjust.
    Round and round we go

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Just to throw some help your way: a threaded quill stem that fits the inside of an inch steerer has a diameter of 22.4 mm, and a threaded quill stem that fits an inch and an eighth steerer has a diameter of 25.4.

There are two sizes, I have an old rocky mountain that has a threaded 1 1/8 steerer.

Now for the easy part: loosen that top bolt and give it a real good smack with a hammer. Yank the stem out and you'll see what size it is because it will be stamped on it.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannondale M200se View Post
    tied a string around the stem where it comes out of the headset... cut the string where it fully surrounds the stem... placed string on table & touched both ends of string to form a circle... placed measuring tape down the middle of circle = 1 inch

i'm assuming that home made technique is correct...
    If your measuring is correct then you have a 1 1/8" steerer on that bike......see my post above..
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dru View Post
    If your measuring is correct then you have a 1 1/8" steerer on that bike......see my post above..
    correct
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    @patineto, i just looked closer & i have XTR M910 brakes/shifters. I see a seller on ebay wanting $562 for NOS... but mine are used

& ty all for your help & confirmations

mtbr member
    what do you hope to accomplish with a threadless adapter? aesthetics?

an adapter just creates more weight and another place for the stem to slip and rotate on you. plus it looks silly. a regular 1 1/8" threadless fork and stem look good, but the adapter makes it look like a frankenbike.

if you really want to put a specific handlebar or stem and you need the adapter to make that work, go for it. but don't think the adapter is going to make anything stronger or better-handling. it will probably do the opposite.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    @mack_turtle, yes aesthetics & aluminum (lighter). My current stem is steel. Threaded steerer/threadless stem/adapter look fine to me. Here's a pic (not mine). Just remove the front reflector & it looks even better imo http://forums.bicycletutor.com/attachment.php?aid=3055

Adapter is aluminum