mtbr member
    Jun 2009

My son wants a FS 29er.

My son and I ride XC. My main bike is an 2007 iDrive 4 (100mm). My son's main bike is a 29er hardtail (2010 Access 9.7). After riding on an XC race course, he expressed the desire for a 29er full suspension.

My son's backup bike is a bike I built him, a 26" hardtail with a Suntour XCR 100mm fork and all X.7 drivetrain. My backup bikes are an Access 9.5 29er that has been upgraded to X.7 drivetrain and a light weight XC hardtail with X.0 drivetrain and Reba RLT fork.

I have to admit that I wouldn't mind adding a 100mm FS to the stable for me too, but I'm not sure if my son needs a FS yet.

Anyway, I was looking at a Fuji Outland 29 1.0 for me and a 2.0 or 3.0 for my son. I'm not even sure what else is out there in the same price range. Ideas? Suggestions?
    2009 Access 9.5 29er
    2010 Diamondback Insight RS (700c hybrid)
    Velorazzo frame build (26)

mtbr member
    GT Sensor 9r Expert on Performance for $1400?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Not to take away from the search for a 29er FS, cause who doesn't want another bike in the stable, but in your other thread from a couple days ago you made a statement that your son needed to ride more. It sounds like he is still getting acquainted to some of the nuances of XC riding. I am just wondering what your son's reasoning is for a 29er FS. If he thinks it will magically make him less likely to dump the bike in a tough situation he may be upset to hear that is not necessarily the case. If he is looking to get less fatigued that is possible, but more time in the saddle training will also help.

My recommendation (and that is all it is as I would never want to tell someone how to deal with their kids) is to hold off for another year or so and let him really dial in his riding style. Then take him shopping for a bike that fits his style and skill set at that time.

Probably drunk right now

A couple of questions...

1. How old is your son?
    2. Is he done growing?
    3. What's his current skill level?
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    My son is 14. I think he's still growing. He's still a beginner.

He wanted to have a more comfortable ride while riding XC. I think I'm going to wait another year and then come back to this...

Right now his 29er is a really good bike. I think he's gonna have to wait... Now... maybe I'll get myself a GT Sensor 9r Expert.
    2009 Access 9.5 29er
    2010 Diamondback Insight RS (700c hybrid)
    Velorazzo frame build (26)

Former Bike Wrench
    Kids these days need toughen up...

Carbon & Ti rule
    I'm not a fan of HT bikes & only ride top end FS 29er's but have to say that unless it is a top end FS a HT 29er would be a better bet for anyone than a lesser FS bike.

When buying a bike on price a HT will always give you better bang for your buck.
    I have a 6 Berth Motorhome that I rent out . It is based in Tauranga, New Zealand

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    He doesn't "need" anything. When I was his age I was riding a full rigid old as dirt GT that my mom bought for me at a yard sale. I rode the hell out of it for years and never once thought of upgrading. Kids these days are so spoiled.

skaterqwertyuiop
    Don't spoil him. Also riding hardtails make people better and more technical riders. The lack of plushness makes riding skills more important, which causes them to improve.
    It's not about what bike you ride, but how hard you tear it up

Ride,Smile, Pedal Damn it
    Give him a Hardtail SS with a big gear. He will learn to pick better iines, get tough and strong as ironman. Give him the FS in 30 years. Its the only way to bring him up right. What did you ride when you were 14? Same piece of **** i had. And we where happy to have it. Do you ride where FS is really needed. I've riden a 26" SS for about 4yrs. Just got a 1x9 29 w/ front shock last year. I got Niner for a few new places that needed front suspension. Let him learn to appreciate all the tech we have now. After riding my rigid SS, the front suspension Niner is so easy and cushy. I fly on that thing, and the hydraulics. I just bought an old super light FS. I can only imagine how cushy its gonna be. Riding my SS "reboots" me, it makes me appreciate all the new tech more. And makes me a much better rider. Good luck. Glad your out with kid riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_bloe View Post
    GT Sensor 9r Expert on Performance for $1400?
    where is that bike for 1400 ?
    Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe 29er

On wuss patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by Waltah View Post
    where is that bike for 1400 ?
    here but it's out of stock currently.

2011 GT Sensor 9r Expert Mountain Bike - 29er Mountain Bikes
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

Nickel Havr
    Will you adopt me? And buy me a FS 29er? Haha...
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I have ridden several nice 29er FS bikes and none are as efficient while climbing on garden variety XC terrain as my Access XCL 29'r hardtail and I am faster descending with it than I was on any 26" wheeled bike I ever owned in all but black diamond terrain. My son (who is in college and races) would love to have my Access XCL 29'r for his XC races.

As things get more technical, the FS will even things out and eventually surpass the hardtail, but FS for beginning riders is more about comfort, and a FS bike will generally stunt their (true) progress as they learn to ride in XC type terrain. JMHO.

mtbr member
    Congrats on even riding with your kid! As far as him needing a full suspension bike to "improve". Think you might be a bit misguided. Just continue to have fun with your son. I do know what it is like though, to want to buy cool **** for your loved ones!